Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by blah blah blah <so...@googlemail.com> on 2010/08/03 11:13:35 UTC

Solr query result cache size and "expire" property

Hi all!
please help - how can I calculate queryresultcache size (how much RAM should
be dedicated for that). I have 1,5 index size, 4 mio docs.
QueryResultWindowSize is 20.
Could I use "expire" property on the documents in this cache?

regards,
Stanislaw

Re: Solr query result cache size and "expire" property

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: please help - how can I calculate queryresultcache size (how much RAM should
: be dedicated for that). I have 1,5 index size, 4 mio docs.
: QueryResultWindowSize is 20.
: Could I use "expire" property on the documents in this cache?

There is no "expire" property, items are automaticly removed from the
cache if the cache gets full, and the entire cache is thrown out when a
new searcher is loaded (that's the only time it would make sense to
"expire" anything)

honestly: trial and error is typically the best bet for sizing your
queryResultsCache ... the size of your index is much less relevant then
the types of queries you get.  If you typically only have 200 unique
queries over and over again, and no one ever does any ohter queries, then
any number abot 200 is going to be essentially the same.

if you have 200 queries thta get a *lot* and 1000000 other queries that
get hit once or twice ver ... then something ~250 is probably a good idea
... any more is probably just a waste of ram, any less is probably a waste
of CPU.

-Hoss