Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tom shepherd <to...@tomshepherd.net> on 2004/10/28 18:18:58 UTC

taint problem?

hello,

i'm getting some problems with my SA installation, and hope someone can
help.

i'm using SpamAssassin 3.0.1 on OS X 10.3.4

the problem is that when i run:

# spamassassin -tD > spam-sample

i believe i'm supposed to get some test output from spamassassin such
as:

   pts rule name              description
  ---- ----------------------
   4.4 DATE_SPAMWARE_Y2K      Date header uses unusual Y2K formatting

but instead, i get this:

debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? yes
debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting
PATH
debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
debug: Final PATH set to: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

then the shell script stops and i have to ctrl C to get back to the
prompt.

I don't think that the there's a taint problem with razor2, as I
patched it before installing it and when i run --lint i get "razor2
available".

I suspect that my Perl installation might not be the tidiest because i
had some problems during the install of Spam Assassin.

any help would be much appreciated.

tom

Re: taint problem?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 05:18:58PM +0100, tom shepherd wrote:
> the problem is that when i run:
> # spamassassin -tD > spam-sample

you need to give spamassassin some input.  that's why it "stops" -- it's
waiting for input on STDIN.  You want to do "spamassassin -tD <
sample-spam.txt", as per the documentation. :)

> i believe i'm supposed to get some test output from spamassassin such
> as:
>
> Content analysis details:   (4.4 points, 5.0 required)
[...]

that's the output from -t

> but instead, i get this:
>
> debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
[...]

that's the output from -D

> then the shell script stops and i have to ctrl C to get back to the
> prompt.

yeah, see above.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Vegetables are what food eats."        - Ted Wojcik

Re: taint problem?

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> the problem is that when i run:
> # spamassassin -tD > spam-sample
> then the shell script stops and i have to ctrl C

This one is easy: it is waiting on your input.

<<< # spamassassin -tD > spam-sample
>>> # spamassassin -tD < spam-sample

  Mark

Re: taint problem?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 12:18 PM 10/28/2004, tom shepherd wrote:
>the problem is that when i run:
>
># spamassassin -tD > spam-sample
>
>i believe i'm supposed to get some test output from spamassassin such as:

You've got your redirection backwards.. you need < not >

 > sends the output to spam-sample, deleting and over-writing it.

< reads the input from spam-sample.

Re: taint problem?

Posted by Gregory Zornetzer <ga...@nmrfam.wisc.edu>.
Hi Tom,

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, tom shepherd wrote:

> hello,
>

> i'm getting some problems with my SA installation, and hope someone can
> help.
>
> i'm using SpamAssassin 3.0.1 on OS X 10.3.4
>

> the problem is that when i run:
>
> # spamassassin -tD > spam-sample
This is the problem.  You're redirecting the stdout output of spamassassin
to the file spam-sample.  This is assuming that MacOSX shell behavior is
the same as just about every other *nix (I'd hope that it is).

Here's what you want:
spamassassin -tD < spam-sample
or alternatively to redirect all of the output, both stdout and stderr to
a file
spamassassin -tD < spam-sample >& outputfile

<snipped>

> but instead, i get this:
>
> debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
> debug: running in taint mode? yes
> debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting
> PATH
> debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
> debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
> debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
> debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
> debug: Final PATH set to: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
spamassassin is waiting for input on stdin.
I think that the taint mode is normal.  It's detecting that you ran it
from a user context with a full path and lots of "unnecessary" environment
variables.  It works around this by resetting the path and undefining a
bunch of env variables.

-Greg