Posted to announcements@xml.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/06/22 22:46:28 UTC

[ANNOUNCE]: xerces-j 1.4.1 released

Hi folks,

The Xerces-J team is very happy to announce that Xerces-J 1.4.1 is now
available.  As well as myriad bugfixes of all kinds, especially to our W3C
schema implementation, this release contains:

- support for all IANA encoding aliases which have a clear mapping to
encodings recognized by Java
- fixes for degradations in DTD validation performance caused by the schema
implementation
- support for setAttribute/getAttribute in JAXP
- two new parser properties permitting an application writer to associate
schema documents with specific namespaces without relying on instance
documents.

Enjoy!
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  416-448-3519, T/L 778-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: xerces-j 1.4.1 new properties - problems

Posted by Ian Roberts <ir...@decisionsoft.com>.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Jeff Rafter wrote:

> I am wildly excited about this feature-- it couldn't have come at a better
> time!

I'm glad this feature has finally made it into xerces, though I notice
that values specified in a document override the values given through the
properties.  What do people think of this?  Would it be better to have to
application override the document?  Or to have the option to do either?

Ian

--
Ian Roberts, Software Engineer        DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com

xerces-j 1.4.1 new properties - problems

Posted by Jeff Rafter <je...@earthlink.net>.
Hi,

I have been trying to utilize the new properties in Xerces 1.4.1 and have
run into a couple of problems:

XMLParser.java should be updated so that the function getProperty will
return the value that has been specified for the newly recognized properties
for schema validation. Currently it is commented out as follows :

        //
        // Xerces Properties
        //

        /*
        else if (propertyId.startsWith(XERCES_PROPERTIES_PREFIX)) {
            //
            // No properties defined yet that are common to all parsers.
            //
        }
        */

Apart from this error, I have also not been able to get the properties to
work in the 1.4.1 build (binary).  I followed the sample that was posted
here but it doesn't seem to work.  I scanned the source and it seems right--
so I tried to make the jar from the source but my 'make' seems to be the
wrong version...

        // Turn the validation feature on
        parser.setFeature( "http://xml.org/sax/features/validation", true);
        // If there is an external schema set it
        if (schema != null) {

parser.setProperty("http://apache.org/xml/properties/schema/external-noNames
paceSchemaLocation", schema);
        }
        // Parse and validate
        System.out.println("Validating source document...");
        parser.parse(instance);

My source document has no xsi: attributes in it.  When parsing I get the
classic errors that saying none of my elements have been declared which
leads me to believe it couldn't find the schema.  However I tried commenting
this line out and just setting the value within the instance document and it
worked perfectly.

I am wildly excited about this feature-- it couldn't have come at a better
time!

Thanks,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting