Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Chris <ch...@hamptons.com> on 1999/07/08 22:50:14 UTC

Is Jetty the Greatest? (Was: Is everything a Servlet?)

784F333.BF158FFB@mortbay.com>

> But Jetty (or MBServler as it was called) was the FIRST!.
> So are any of the other johny-come-lately java HTTP server implementors
> lurking on this list?  Surely some of them are going to challenge my
> "Jetty is the Greatest" bravado when it comes down to coding time?

Sure, I'll pit my old "SimpleHttpServer.class" against Jetty any time! Just look
at these features:

1) No servlet support
2) No HTTP 1.1 support
3) No POST method supprt
4) No Query String processing
5) No (fill in blank with anything cool) support

But it successfully served html files, JPEGs, and GIFs (including applets! I mean
of course it did applets too but that struck me as cool at the time), and it was
only 3,200 bytes, and I was pretty proud of myself.

Jetty? Pshaw, I got yer Jetty right heah

- Chris

Re: Is Jetty the Greatest? (Was: Is everything a Servlet?)

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.
Chris wrote:
> Sure, I'll pit my old "SimpleHttpServer.class" against Jetty any time! Just look
> at these features:
>
> 1) No servlet support
> 2) No HTTP 1.1 support
> 3) No POST method supprt
> 4) No Query String processing
> 5) No (fill in blank with anything cool) support
>
> But it successfully served html files, JPEGs, and GIFs (including applets! I mean
> of course it did applets too but that struck me as cool at the time), and it was
> only 3,200 bytes, and I was pretty proud of myself.

Back in those good old days when the U in URL actually meant something!
Not too sure if Jetty can still serve requests that don't have some kind
of bell or whistle nailed onto them somewhere???  I think I respond to
simple GET requests with:

HTTP/9.9 666 SC_DO_YOU_WANT_FRIES_WITH_THAT.

--
Greg Wilkins<gr...@mortbay.com>          GB  Phone: +44-(0)171-4394045
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.    Mbl Phone: +44-(0)7775534369