Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mark Young <ma...@kamiak.com> on 2002/11/23 01:08:26 UTC

Trouble with connect() in BinHTTPURLInputStream

Hi all:

I am seeing that at times the Winsock connect() call in
BinHTTPURLInputStream fails to connect to url's that at other times it
succeeds with.  I'm guessing that it has something to do with network
congestion or server congestion.  Browsers (like IE) can connect to the same
URL, though when I am seeing the problem they are slow.  It seems like maybe
at the peak internet traffic times the problem happens, and when internet
traffic is lower, the problem disappears.

I tried changing the connect() to nonblocking (using select()) so that I can
have a longer time to wait for the connect to succeed, but the socket never
becomes writeable, even after minutes of polling.  At those times when it
does work, it works right away, on the first poll.

Here is a URL that I often have trouble connecting to:

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/

My company has its own application using Xerces, but I see the same thing
with DOMPrint.  It does not only happen on my machine(s) but also on my
coworker's, connecting to the internet from another part of the country.

Does anyone else see this?  If so, do you have some idea of what causes the
problem, and how to solve it?

Regards,

Mark Young
Omniopera: XML Schema and WSDL Authoring Software
http://www.omniopera.com