Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by yanqing huang <ya...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/28 06:50:13 UTC

HBase performance evaluation

Hi all,
    I want to ask something about HBase test tool performance evaluation
workloads. Are there any CPU bound workloads in performance evaluation or
ycsb benchmark.
    As my project needs cpu heavy HBase test job, while performance
evaluation or ycsb workloads provided are all read, write, insert or their
mix.         Can anybody tell me the way to custom cpu heavy workloads ?
Thank you very much.

Re: HBase performance evaluation

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
HBase is primarily a storage system, not a computation system, so there are
no CPU-bound workloads as such. I suppose you can try to artificially
increase CPU load on the RegionServers by using expensive
compressions/encodings. Your other option would be to run a MR job on the
same cluster -- those processes will compete with RS's for resources.

Could you provide a little more context for your project?