Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/07/27 23:52:40 UTC

[UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

The end of July is upon us.  I intend to cut a 0.95.2 next weekend and
0.95.2 will be 0.96.0 but for bug fixes and migration polish.  No more
'features' will be allowed after next weekend.

I have done some moving around of hbase 0.95.2 issues [1] to reflect what
the priorities are for this week (to my mind).  It is all about polish, bad
bugs, unit test failures, and packaging/publishing/build issues.

I'll be working on the blockers this week [2].  A few are in need of
reviews; e.g. "HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries
RPC".  Feel free to take over any blockers if you'd like to help out: e.g.
"HBASE-7386 Investigate providing some supervisor support for znode
deletion"

Criticals [3] are mostly just unit test issues that are probably fixed by
now and another few that are patches in need of test/review: e.g.
"HBASE-8874 PutCombiner is skipping KeyValues while combining puts of same
row during bulkload" and "HBASE-8778 Region assigments scan table directory
making them slow for huge tables".
 "HBASE-6127 TestAtomicOperation#testMultiRowMutationMultiThreads
occasionally fails" is a bad one in need of attention.  Again, if up for
helping out, be our guest.

There are some great patches hanging out in the priority major issues
section that are patch available that could be committed but for want of
review: e.g. "HBASE-8369 MapReduce over snapshot files".

Regards the big features that are racing to make the 0.96 cutoff -- namely
namespaces, tags, and serialization lib -- as I see it, Francis needs
reviews if namespaces are to make it, tags ditto, and the serialization
libs are nice-to-have auxillaries that can come in at any time.  If not
done by the end of this week, then as I see it, these features do not make
the cut.

Unit tests are mostly passing.  The problematics are being worked on (e.g.
JD is on the replication set -- it likely a real problem rather than a
flakey test).

How's the above sound?
St.Ack

P.S. It is late but if folks want to meet this week to hack in patches
together, just say.  I could organize an afternoon or day if you all think
it would be a good idea.

1.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12320040#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel
2.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
3.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%220.95.2%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Critical%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org> wrote:

> This change can't be done on a later date since it changes HTrace's
> public api that users of HBase would be calling.

Makes sense, I would concede this point. As long as there's an artifact up
in Maven central (or another public repo) before the commit goes in it's
fine by me technically.

In terms of process, the remainder of our disagreement isn't settled, your
explanation does not match up with your earlier reasoning in the case of
our work and moves the goalposts, as I have outlined, but this is moot now.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
I have explained why this patch is very different than a new HFile +
Tags, but I'm more than willing to re-iterate those reasons.

* It's at least an order of magnitude smaller than HFile v3.
* It's not a new feature.
* It's a minor tweak on one that's already there
* It's much less risky.
* It's in a production ready state now.
* It's already got a plus one.
* It's been running on integration test clusters for a while (as
witnessed by it being used to find actual bugs in 0.95).

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Elliott,

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Is it HBASE-9121 ?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > I see no reason that 0.98 cannot come out a week or a month after 0.96;
>
>  tags is close and justification enough for a major release.
> > I propose Andrew as RM for 0.98/1.0.0 if he is up for taking it on.
>

> I would be pleased to volunteer to RM 0.98.

Sounds good to me.  Would suggest announcing your taking it up in a new
thread rather than down here in the middle of this one -- perhaps
soliciting if any objection? -- and maybe as part of a message announcing
our starting up the 0.98 cycle.  Good on you Andrew.

> If I were to be your RM for 0.98, then I would suggest a .0 release in the
> beginning of October. There are 42 open issues against 0.98 specifically
> and I would like to also provide everyone some time for post 0.96 release
> thinking.

Be aware that issues have been moved here just to get them out of 0.96.
 Feel free to punt them on again if not being worked on or not appropriate.

We might want to put out a call for what folks think should be in a release
that is slated for October -- or what they are working on and think they
can finish inside the October constraint.

> I am not sure we should move from 0.98 to 1.0 without another interim
> release, that would be a call for a later time perhaps, maybe a 1.0 release
> at the start of January 2014.

Ok.  Something to discuss.

Thanks A,
St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> A late breaking one- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-9227.
> Kindly consider for the upcoming RC.

np

There is another blocker outstanding still.  Hopefully we can get these
both resolved in the morning.

St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

> >>Lets then make a tags-only release on the
> heels of 0.96.  As said above, tags is cause enough for a major hbase
> release.
> Okie. Let me see if anything is needed so that we can avoid compatability
> issues later.  I will consider your suggestion also.

If you need "placeholders" -- as per Todd suggestion -- then lets get them
in (they can come in after 0.95.2 and before 0.96.0RC0 np).
St.Ack

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
>>Lets then make a tags-only release on the
heels of 0.96.  As said above, tags is cause enough for a major hbase
release.
Okie. Let me see if anything is needed so that we can avoid compatability
issues later.  I will consider your suggestion also.
Thanks Stack.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Okie.. Let me try to do that . You wanna take a look at HFileV3 with Tags?
 Would always help in getting more reviews.  Thanks Todd.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Ram,

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stack

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Its 11 days! since the last update.  I'm going to cut 0.95.2 this evening
after the last blocker goes in.  This means only bug fixes, doc., and
polish are allowed on the 0.95 branch from here on out.  I'll put up a
0.96.0RC0 soon after, probably next week.

Namespaces are in. It destabilized build for a while which is only to be
expected for a patch of near 3M I suppose but all seems back to normal
again.

Nick's client-side serialization additions made it in too.

I just took a quick look at the tags work and it is much improved and
getting close w/ a couple of receptive developers on the other end fast
accommodating review comments -- but IMO it still needs to make a few more
rounds of review which will put off the 0.95.2/0.96.0 even more.  I am
making the call that the tags work does not make the 0.96 cut (It also has
a -1 against it).

St.Ack

PS: I see no reason that 0.98 cannot come out a week or a month after 0.96;
tags is close and justification enough for a major release.  Or as has been
suggested already, just skip 0.98 and just go to 1.0.0 altogether once tags
are in?  I propose Andrew as RM for 0.98/1.0.0 if he is up for taking it on.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
>>(My objection is the nomenclature -- if you have to do the
overloads to get in your tags, go for it)
We are trying to avoid this.  Will review internally and try to arrive at
an approach sooner.  And also at other comments.  Thanks Stack.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran test suite using
> https://github.com/francisliu/hbase_namespace/tree/core_8408_rebase_1 last
> week and got several test failures.
> See tail of this email.

So, the namespaces branch which is based off an older version of trunk has
some failing tests in it?  Was it namespaces that caused the failures?  Did
you look?

The set of tests posted look to belong to tests that have had work
subsequently done on them to make them more reliable in trunk.  Others have
been turned off in trunk and 0.95 because they were flakey: e.g.
TestRSKilledWhenMasterInitializing.

The above observation would therefore add zero to this discussion?

> I think namespace feature still needs some polishing. Francis and people
> interested in this feature can continue to work on the git branch so that
> all major issues (including migration) are ironed out.

Did you review the patch?

The ns branch comes in now or not at all because it redoes the fs layout.
 It can't come in at a later time as you suggest above.

St.Ack

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I ran test suite using
https://github.com/francisliu/hbase_namespace/tree/core_8408_rebase_1 last
week and got several test failures.
See tail of this email.

I think namespace feature still needs some polishing. Francis and people
interested in this feature can continue to work on the git branch so that
all major issues (including migration) are ironed out.

Cheers

Failed tests:
testCompactionRecordDoesntBlockRolling(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.TestLogRolling):
Should have WAL; one table is not flushed expected:<1> but was:<2>

testLogRollOnDatanodeDeath(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.TestLogRolling):
New log file should have the default replication instead of 1

testFavoredNodesPresentForRoundRobinAssignment(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestRegionPlacement)

Tests in error:
  org.apache.hadoop.hbase.catalog.TestMetaMigrationConvertingToPB:
java.net.URISyntaxException: Relative path in absolute URI: hbase:meta

testCorrectnessWhenMasterFailOver(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.TestRSKilledWhenMasterInitializing):
test timed out after 120000 milliseconds
  testRunShellTests(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.TestShell):
(RuntimeError) Shell unit tests failed. Check output file for details.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > In the patch, it looks to me that v3 is not a true new type but just an
> h2
> > w/ tags shoehorned in.  Going forward v3 will not be extensible as done.
> >

> I think that's a case of only extending what is needed at this time. More
> V2 classes can be subclassed or replaced as required?

It looks like methods are being overloaded to add tags.  Overloading to add
mvcc was ugly.  Tag-effort is compounding this approach.

I'd have thought a v3 would do tags, mvcc, etc., natively.

Main objection is that the included v3 is not a 'green field'/redo so lets
not call it that (My objection is the nomenclature -- if you have to do the

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > I just did a review of tags.  They look like they need a good bit of
> > work yet.
> >

> Yes that patch I put up on RB is the one that was cluster tested and
> profiled. Let me work with Ram about getting the latest up there. We also
> needed to get a sense of what can work. For that, please correct me if I am
> mistaken about any of the following:
>
>    - An HFileV3 is fine in concept.

Yes.

In the patch, it looks to me that v3 is not a true new type but just an h2
w/ tags shoehorned in.  Going forward v3 will not be extensible as done.
 It might as well be called h2+tags?

>    - We subclass KeyValue (as TaggedKeyValue) to avoid changing KeyValue's
>    serialization code and to avoid heap size inflation for the no tags
> case.
>    This is fine modulo issues with encapsulation.

Yes.

>    - Not plumbing tags all the way through to the client as to minimize
>    risk in 0.96 is ok. (And this benefits security as a bonus and is also
> fine
>    for strictly server-side tag use cases.) This ties in to the above as to
>    why a subclass is needed to carry around tags as in memory state, like
>    memstoreTS.

Yes

>    - Changing the encoders is fine, since they are shared by all HFile
>    implementations. Of course as few changes as possible. Tag specific
> changes
>    there - method signature changes mostly - are currently workable but
> ugly,
>    but we can handle that in another pass by subclassing more HFile
> classes to
>    carry V3 specific state.

Yes.

Thanks.

St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I promise I won't make
this a debate but I would like to respond to a couple of points, for your
consideration.

> Showed up very late in the merge window

Yes, for that I apologize, we have our respective timetables and sometimes
they coincide and sometimes the interaction is not optimal. Our focuses
have been different and then an arbitrary line was drawn in the sand. We
would like to work with you here. We have made a few dramatic changes to
our approach already to try and accommodate it.

> * Is not the green field HFileV3, and doesn't have time for a complete
re-do

I think it's better actually if a V3 shares as much code as possible with
the V2 implementation except for what is actually different, copy-on-write
as it were. That said, I may be getting ahead of the latest patch so will
wait.

> * Can easily be done without out downtime
> ** (changing the encoders could be done without needing downtime. meaning
no singularity is required).

Therefore indeed we can split the work into pre and post singularity. I
have not seen the latest patch but the set of pre-singularity change was
small before and will be the same or smaller, and post changes that are
optional and can be rolled into seems fine, to me, for 0.96.x where x > 0,
so there's no conflict here.

I wouldn't broach the subject of 1.0 because that is a premature
discussion, though I probably don't agree with how you have structured it,
at least there is one point of disagreement.

> Will 100% have perf impacts.

To be pedantic, small cluster (granted) benchmarking does not show a 100%
impact. Rather if V2 is used instead of V3 the impact of the changes are
not distinguishable from background platform variability. I agree wider
testing and probably tuning is necessary before production. There will be
other experimental features in 0.96.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org> wrote:

> And to say that HFileV3 can go in and still go 1.0.

Perhaps you can elaborate on the difference you see between HFileV3 and
namespaces?

Also, what if HFileV3 were not essential to what we are after ?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> but I fear that if we prematurely call this 1.0, then we
> would be asking for trouble.

That's fine by me.  I was just trying to find a middle ground that
could work for Andrew.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM, James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>wrote:

> Given that nothing depends on the order preserving types (i.e. no risk of
> breaking stuff), why not just include them?

I was wondering that too but haven't been following closely.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
IMHO, the value is agreeing on a serialization format across multiple
products. Without a common serialization format, we won't have a good
interop story. Phoenix needs the serialization format to be order
preserving.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM, James Taylor <jtaylor@salesforce.com
> >wrote:
>
> > So row key order won't match the natural sort order?
> >

> With the "Legacy" types that are based on Bytes, you get whatever you get.
> Strings and pass-through byte[]'s work like normal; positive integers will
> work, but not negatives; &c. HBase would not ship out-of-the-box with
> general purpose order-preserving types, but you'd have the API and be able
> to implement your own.

So what would be the incentive using the new API be?

And then when the implementation changes -- it serializes in sort-order --
will it confuse?

Thanks Nick,
St.Ack

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
Hey Nick,
What's the functionality that we'll lose without the order-preserving part
being included?
Thanks,
James

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
> It seems incongruous to say things aren't tested at scale is what's
> holding us back from 1.0. And to say that HFileV3 can go in and still
> go 1.0.

Let me elaborate. There are at least new RPC PB, PB structures in HFiles /
hlogs, and zk, table locks, bucket cache, online merge, stochastic LB,
hbase on windows, new data types, AM changes, favorite node assignment,
dist log replay, and tons of MTTR changes that are not run in production so
far. The amount of new stuff is scary. Yes, we and other groups are doing
extensive testing, but I fear that if we prematurely call this 1.0, then we
would be asking for trouble.

HFile v3 on the other hand, can be baked in 0.96.x releases if time allows
it. I am expecting that to also go a few minor releases, and not be
committed just before 1.0 comes out.

Enis

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we should release what is scheduled to be 0.96 as 1.0.0,
since I think we should give the new features time for one more release to
bake. There are some features that were not tested at scale. I think we can
do 0.96, and mark later releases of 0.96.x to be 1.0.0.

For HFile v3, I would not object to bring this in for later releases of
0.96.x if we cannot do timely releases. Ideally, we should continue on the
major release train, and have 0.98/1.1.0 (or whatever is next) in 3-4
months or so. Then we won't have non-ending discussions of backporting and
all.

Enis

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org> wrote:

> As things currently stand, I'm -1 (binding) any new features other
> than namespaces in 0.96.x.

I am not happy with any 0.96 release that does not allow forward progress
with security features.

What about the compromise I proposed mere hours ago?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
As things currently stand, I'm -1 (binding) any new features other
than namespaces in 0.96.x.

I think we can all agree that 0.96 has taken way too long to get out.
0.96 will be a monster release with bunches of new features, tons of
new code paths, and lots of uncertainty. To combat that lots of people
and companies have put tons of effort into testing and stabilizing the
current 0.95 branch. The best way I see forward is to start releasing
much faster.

I'd like to propose:
* we stabilize 0.95 branch completely.  Make that branch rock solid.
* When we are happy with it, release it as 1.0.0.
* Then (a couple of months) after release 1.1.0 with hfile v3 and any
other feature that haven't made the cut for 1.0.0 .
* really start using semver(http://semver.org/) so that users can know
for sure that a patch version doesn't bring much risk at all.

That will make sure that any new features contributed aren't stuck
waiting to be released forever, and we will always be able to have a
very stable patch version that risk adverse people can use.
Additionally having faster minor release trains will mean that we can
be much more rigid in our back-porting policies.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Regards the big features that are racing to make the 0.96 cutoff --
> namely
> >> namespaces, tags, and serialization lib -- as I see it, Francis needs
> >> reviews if namespaces are to make it, tags ditto, and the serialization
> >> libs are nice-to-have auxillaries that can come in at any time.  If not
> >> done by the end of this week, then as I see it, these features do not
> make
> >> the cut.
> >>

> > I think it would be great if namespaces, tags, and the serialization
> > work are all in the RC
>

> Would we be able to get an HFile V3 into 0.96.1 if 0.96.0 goes out without?

It'd be a feature I suppose?  0.98?  What you thinking Andrew?  Redo what

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.