Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/10 16:32:45 UTC

eliminate nifi-parent, split out nifi-nar-maven-plugin, have nifi in its own tree

Team,

We've seen and heard the confusion of folks trying to build NiFi's
goofy three step build process with parent, nar plugin, and nifi.  I
propose to do the following:

1) Eliminate the nifi-parent by pushing anything necessary back into
nifi-nar-maven-plugin.  The DRY concept is valid but just not worth a
third project at this point given how little it avoids meaningful
repetition on.

2) Create a new apache git repo for 'nifi-maven-plugins' and move the
'nifi-nar-maven-plugin' content into it.

3) Remove the nifi-parent and nifi-nar-maven-plugin from nifi folder
and promote the current 'nifi' sub folder to the top level.

Why: Folks are confused as to why they need to build all three and it
is odd that in a given project folder you would have to each manually.
It is just not a generally appreciated fact that you cannot have a
dependency on a maven plugin within the same reactor build that uses
that builds that plugin.  By cleaning this up people can just download
the source and build it.  We don't have to have any protracted build
cycles for 'nifi maven plugings' anymore leaving dependency on a
snapshot in the nifi tree.

If there seems to be consensus on this i'll put in the infra ticket soon.

Thanks
Joe

Re: eliminate nifi-parent, split out nifi-nar-maven-plugin, have nifi in its own tree

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

The proper way to request that is via submitting a ticket to the INFRA
JIRA project.

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dan

Posted by Dan Bress <db...@onyxconsults.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: eliminate nifi-parent, split out nifi-nar-maven-plugin, have nifi in its own tree

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ryan