Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glyn Normington <gl...@uk.ibm.com> on 2002/03/21 17:00:39 UTC

javax.xml.soap

Before the beta, I started plumbing the javax.xml.soap interfaces into the
Axis message classes such as javax.xml.soap.SOAPElement. I didn't get very
far - MessageElement now implements SOAPElement. The reason was in order
better to support a UDDI server based on Axis which needs to get involved
in deserialisation. The javax.xml.soap interfaces are likely to be more
stable than the corresponding concrete classes in Axis such as
MessageElement.

Since then I've read a number of disparaging remarks about JAXM and wonder
if it is likely to fall into disuse.

The options appear to be:

1. Complete the plumbing.
2. Rip out the current plumbing and do without separate interfaces.
3. Rip out the current plumbing and define separate interfaces analogous to
the javax.xml.soap interfaces.

I don't like 2 if, as appears to be likely, it will be useful to expose the
classes/interface as published Axis externals.

3. would give us more freedom and might be the best option *if* JAXM is on
the way out.

Thoughts?

Glyn