Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "domson.tech@outlook.com" <do...@outlook.com> on 2022/01/25 14:25:33 UTC

what does "jakarta" mean?

Hi, all. I found there are some client project name "Jakarta", what is the purpose of these project? And, what does "Jakarta" mean ?
Thanks!

Re: what does "jakarta" mean?

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 3:31 PM domson.tech@outlook.com <
domson.tech@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi, all. I found there are some client project name "Jakarta", what is the
> purpose of these project? And, what does "Jakarta" mean ?
> Thanks!

Jakarta is a city in the island of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java, of
course ;P

Jakarta (the project) is the current home for what used to be called Java
Enterprise Edition, see https://jakarta.ee/ for the details.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk

Re: what does "jakarta" mean?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
The main website [1] mentions "Jakarta Messaging" in the section listing
some features of ActiveMQ Artemis. Jakarta Messaging [2] is the new JMS now
that Java EE has transitioned to Jakarta EE [3]. If that doesn't make sense
read through some of those linked websites and hopefully it will become
more clear.

Justin

[1] https://activemq.apache.org/
[2] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/ee4j.messaging
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta_EE

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 8:25 AM domson.tech@outlook.com <

Re: what does "jakarta" mean?

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Just about all the “import javax…” package names for Java classes are being converted to “import jakarta.. “. This includes JMS API (javax.jms -> jakarta.jms) for messaging and also things like Servelets for web apps and REST services, etc.

-Matt Pavlovich