Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/21 11:29:33 UTC

Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Hi,

I encountered an issue which hangs the decommission operatoin. Its steps:
1. Install a Hadoop 1.1.1 cluster, with 2 datanodes: dn1 and dn2. And, in
hdfs-site.xml, set the 'dfs.replication' to 2
2. Add node dn3 into the cluster as a new datanode, and did not change the '
dfs.replication' value in hdfs-site.xml and keep it as 2
note: step 2 passed
3. Decommission dn3 from the cluster

Expected result: dn3 could be decommissioned successfully

Actual result: decommission progress hangs and the status always be
'Waiting DataNode status: Decommissioned'

However, if the initial cluster includes >= 3 datanodes, this issue won't
be encountered when add/remove another datanode.

Also, after step 2, I noticed that some block's expected replicas is 3, but
the 'dfs.replication' value in hdfs-site.xml is always 2!

Could anyone pls help provide some triages?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you are correct: using fsck tool I found some files in my cluster
expected more replications than the value defined in dfs.replication. If I
set the expected replication of this files to a proper number, the
decommissioning process will go smoothly and the datanode could be
decommissioned finally.

However, many users do not mention this and might confuse the situation
that cluster always stays on decommissioning phase, so I think we can make
some improvements to allow user more easily to do precheck before
decommisioning datanode here, and help them find out all filies which might
lack of replications after decommissioning a datanode. For example, we can
told user that the expected replication of file1 and file26 are 6, but
after decommissioning a datanode the datanodes of the cluster will be 5 and
won't satisify file1 and file26 any more. In this way, user can decide
whether to continue the decommissioning work or to reduce the expected
replications of those files. For the way to implementation, I think we
could add a decommission-precheck script or a parameter to fsck tool.

Any comments?

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hang when add/remove a datanode into/from a 2 datanode cluster

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sam liu <sa...@gmail.com>.