Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kalle Klovn <ny...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/13 19:41:39 UTC

Organize working copies

Hi,
It is recommanded to use a directory structur like this in the repository:
- project
---- tags
---- branches
---- trunk

If I use the same directory structure on the client (the working copy) will
I need the switch command?
If I have two brances I will then have 2 different directories under the
branches directory. Do you use the switch command only to change the files
from one branch to another, so that if I use different directories for each
branch I don't have to "switch". Is there any disadvanteges with doing it
like this?

Please help. This is realy confusing me...

Re: Organize working copies

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
(Please reply to the list!)

On Nov 13, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Kalle Klovn wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Andy Peters <de...@latke.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Kalle Klovn wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > It is recommanded to use a directory structur like this in the
>> > repository:
>> > - project
>> > ---- tags
>> > ---- branches
>> > ---- trunk
>> >
>> > If I use the same directory structure on the client (the working
>> > copy) will
>> > I need the switch command?
>>
>> You check out only what you're working on (usually the trunk,
>> sometimes a particular branch), so there's no need to switch or
>> anything like that.
>>
>> -a

> OK, I think I maybe understand now. In
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-
> book.html#svn.branchmerge.switchwcthere
> is an example of switching to a branch named my-calc-branch, but if
> you do like in this example you will have a copy of a branch in a
> directory
> named trunk, which seems strange. Is it just a bad example or am I
> still
> misunderstanding something?

Perhaps it's not clear.  You don't need to check out everything!  You
just check out what you're working on, and in typical use, you're
working on the trunk only.  So you check out the trunk.  Don't check
out any branches, don't check out any tags, don't worry about switching.

-a

Re: Organize working copies

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.

Re: Organize working copies

Posted by Ivan Aleman <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kalle,

I think you're misunderstanding some Subversion concepts.

First when you do a checkout you're creating a working copy from one
of the three main branches althought you can have only trunk is a good
practice to create the other two.
Please read http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge

Good luck!

--