Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by maggie <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/24 14:32:55 UTC

find out the possible bottleneck webapp

Hi ,all

I deploy many web applications on Tomcat.
But sometimes the response time of Tomcat is very long. At that time,
the CPU usage is very high.

Is there any tool for me to find out which web application consumes most
of the CPU resource?

Is there any tool to provide such information Remotely even if the
workload of Tomcat is very heavy?

Any hint is welcome. Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,
Maggie

Re: find out the possible bottleneck webapp

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
you will need to allow remote access to tomcat jmx via configured JAVA_OPTS
such as
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote

Complete details available at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html

Martin-

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by maggie <ma...@gmail.com>.
Chunk,

I'll test that.
Thank you for your help! :)

--
Sincerely,
Maggie

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: maggie [mailto:maggies1919@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: find out the possible bottleneck webapp
>
> So what I want is a light weight tool, just find out which
> webapp causes the problem when Tomcat runs abnormally.

Take a look at the jstack tool to remotely access stack traces on a
running JVM:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/index.html#troubleshoo

If accessing remotely, you'll also need jsadebugd; if running jstack
locally, you don't need the daemon.

You can also use JConsole, but it only dumps the stack for one thread at
a time.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: find out the possible bottleneck webapp

Posted by maggie <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you all for the reply!

I am sure that's some of my webapps' problem.
It runs ok at beginning. After it runs one day, the CPU usage is very high,
I have to restart Tomcat.

Of course, I can use JProber to analzye which webapp goes wrong.
But I don't want restart Tomcat. I want to find that abnormal webapp and
delete it
directly.

So what I want is a light weight tool, just find out which webapp causes the
problem when Tomcat runs abnormally.

Is there this kind tool?

Posted by Jonadan <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

What do you mean by "SOMETIMES"?
Is it recurring problem at certain intervals?

If it's early-on, it's more likely caused by first time compiling.
If it occurs at certain intervals and you use large heap memory,
its likely for garbage collection. You can find out the heap memory size
allocated and using with Runtime APIS.

Regards.

Regards.

RE: find out the possible bottleneck webapp

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.kolinko@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: find out the possible bottleneck webapp
>
> kill -3  command will produce it under UNIXes.
>
> 2008/1/24, maggie <ma...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Is there any tool to provide such information Remotely even if the
> > workload of Tomcat is very heavy?

There's a set of tools in the HotSpot JDK that look interesting:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/index.html#troubleshoo

The jstack one in conjunction with jsadebugd would be of interest here.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
I think that java thread dump can be printed even if workload is heavy.

Posted by Jonadan <jo...@yahoo.com>.

maggie-41 wrote:

> But sometimes the response time of Tomcat is very long. At that time,
> the CPU usage is very high.

First of all, some of your application is causing this, you should be guess
which ones can cause. Otherwise, it could be followings;

1. Garbage collectors kicked in.
2. Compiling: both source and JIT.

If you don't have enough main memory, this will accomany with excessive
I/O as well as high CPU usage intemittantly mixed. Then you will have very
long resonse time.

If not, it could be your application.

Regards.