Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org> on 2019/10/16 21:59:20 UTC

Apache Thrift 0.13.0 Release

Hi folks,

Apache Thrift 0.13.0 has been released.

Some of the mirror sites are still being updated, that may take some hours to complete. Meanwhile, in the unlikely case that you can't find any working mirror, you can download source tarballs and a statically linked windows thrift executable from the GitHub release page, which contains a link to all of the release notes as well:

https://github.com/apache/thrift/releases/tag/v0.13.0

As part of the 0.13.0 release we have deprecated:

* C# (use netstd instead)
* netcore (use netstd instead)

Main reason is that future C# evolution is announced to be heading towards .NET Core, the other reason for this step is the simple fact that maintaining two parallel C# branches turned out to work less ideal than planned. So the decision was made to converge both into a new netstd target, reaping the best fruits of both libraries while focusing on modern C# development as much as possible. In this version both C# and netcore targets are still supported to allow for a smooth transition. There is also some basic documentation in the /lib/csharp folder to help you with the process of migrating your code base. Especially if you are coming from C# you may need to plan for some efforts, since netstd is purely async/await only.

There are far more changes, more than I can list here. All the details can be found as usual in the changelog and the various JIRA tickets.

Finally, I want to take the opportunity to a) thank Jim for his work in the last months, and b) cite the following paragraph from one of his past release emails:

> We're still looking for folks who are interested in being language experts
> for thrift.  We have a number of languages with little representation on
> the current committer team.  If you are passionate about a particular
> language and you want to see thrift available and grow in capability and
> stability for that language, please visit the Apache Thrift Jira
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/THRIFT/issues> site and look for
> open issues for your language in the THRIFT project.  Get involved!  Submit
> pull requests.  Your work will not go unnoticed.

I furthermore would also like to thank every contributor and every active committer who helped to bring another release of Apache Thrift to fruition. You are the people who make Open Source work.

Have fun,
JensG

Re: Apache Thrift 0.14.0 Release

Posted by David <da...@gmail.com>.
I second that.  Thanks Jens for all of your leadership and mentorship.

Posted by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>.

Apache Thrift 0.14.0 Release

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

Apache Thrift 0.14.0 has been released.

Some of the mirror sites are still being updated, that may take some hours
to complete. Meanwhile, in the unlikely case that you can't find any working
mirror, you can download source tarballs and a statically linked windows
thrift executable from the GitHub release page, which contains a link to all
of the release notes as well:

https://github.com/apache/thrift/releases/tag/v0.14.0

As part of the 0.14.0 release we have deprecated:

* AS3 (support will be removed with the next release)

All the details can be found as usual in the changelog and the various JIRA
tickets.

Finally, I want to take the opportunity to cite again the following
paragraph from one of Jim's past release emails:

Apache Thrift 0.14.0 Release

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

Re: Apache Thrift 0.13.0 Release

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Jens and Thrift team.

Thanks for this release :-)

I just updated the Apache Trift and Boost versions in Apache PLC4X to the latest ones and now everything builds flawlessly.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

Chris