Posted to announce@apache.org by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org> on 2021/04/19 16:37:42 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 2.8.0

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the
release for Apache Kafka 2.8.0

Kafka 2.8.0 includes a number of significant new features.
Here is a summary of some notable changes:

* Early access of replace ZooKeeper with a self-managed
quorum
* Add Describe Cluster API
* Support mutual TLS authentication on SASL_SSL listeners
* JSON request/response debug logs
* Limit broker connection creation rate
* Topic identifiers
* Expose task configurations in Connect REST API
* Update Streams FSM to clarify ERROR state meaning
* Extend StreamJoined to allow more store configs
* More convenient TopologyTestDriver construtors
* Introduce Kafka-Streams-specific uncaught exception
handler
* API to start and shut down Streams threads
* Improve TimeWindowedDeserializer and TimeWindowedSerde to
handle window size
* Improve timeouts and retries in Kafka Streams

All of the changes in this release can be found in the
release notes:
https://www.apache.org/dist/kafka/2.8.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

You can download the source and binary release (Scala 2.12
and 2.13) from:
https://kafka.apache.org/downloads#2.8.0

---------------------------------------

Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform with four
core APIs:

** The Producer API allows an application to publish a
stream records to one or more Kafka topics.

** The Consumer API allows an application to subscribe to
one or more topics and process the stream of records
produced to them.

** The Streams API allows an application to act as a stream
processor, consuming an input stream from one or more topics
and producing an output stream to one or more output topics,
effectively transforming the input streams to output
streams.

** The Connector API allows building and running reusable
producers or consumers that connect Kafka topics to existing
applications or data systems. For example, a connector to a
relational database might capture every change to a table.

With these APIs, Kafka can be used for two broad classes of
application:

** Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably
get data between systems or applications.

** Building real-time streaming applications that transform
or react to the streams of data.

Apache Kafka is in use at large and small companies
worldwide, including Capital One, Goldman Sachs, ING,
LinkedIn, Netflix, Pinterest, Rabobank, Target, The New York
Times, Uber, Yelp, and Zalando, among others.

A big thank you for the following 128 contributors to this
release!

17hao, abc863377, Adem Efe Gencer, Alexander Iskuskov, Alok
Nikhil, Anastasia Vela, Andrew Lee, Andrey Bozhko, Andrey
Falko, Andy Coates, Andy Wilkinson, Ankit Kumar, APaMio,
Arjun Satish, ArunParthiban-ST, A. Sophie Blee-Goldman,
Attila Sasvari, Benoit Maggi, bertber, bill, Bill Bejeck,
Bob Barrett, Boyang Chen, Brajesh Kumar, Bruno Cadonna,
Cheng Tan, Chia-Ping Tsai, Chris Egerton, CHUN-HAO TANG,
Colin Patrick McCabe, Colin P. Mccabe, Cyrus Vafadari, David
Arthur, David Jacot, David Mao, dengziming, Dhruvil Shah,
Dima Reznik, Dongjoon Hyun, Dongxu Wang, Emre Hasegeli,
feyman2016, fml2, Gardner Vickers, Geordie, Govinda Sakhare,
Greg Harris, Guozhang Wang, Gwen Shapira, Hamza Slama,
high.lee, huxi, Igor Soarez, Ilya Ganelin, Ismael Juma, Ivan
Ponomarev, Ivan Yurchenko, jackyoh, James Cheng, James
Yuzawa, Jason Gustafson, Jesse Gorzinski, Jim Galasyn, John
Roesler, Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya, José Armando García
Sancio, Julien Chanaud, Julien Jean Paul Sirocchi, Justine
Olshan, Kengo Seki, Kowshik Prakasam, leah, Lee Dongjin,
Levani Kokhreidze, Lev Zemlyanov, Liju John, Lincong Li,
Lucas Bradstreet, Luke Chen, Manikumar Reddy, Marco Aurelio
Lotz, mathieu, Matthew Wong, Matthias J. Sax, Matthias
Merdes, Michael Bingham, Michael G. Noll, Mickael Maison,
Montyleo, mowczare, Nikolay, Nikolay Izhikov, Ning Zhang,
Nitesh Mor, Okada Haruki, panguncle, parafiend, Patrick
Dignan, Prateek Agarwal, Prithvi, Rajini Sivaram, Raman
Verma, Ramesh Krishnan M, Randall Hauch, Richard
Fussenegger, Rohan, Rohit Deshpande, Ron Dagostino, Samuel
Cantero, Sanket Fajage, Scott Hendricks, Shao Yang Hong,
ssugar, Stanislav Kozlovski, Stanislav Vodetskyi, tang7526,
Thorsten Hake, Tom Bentley, vamossagar12, Viktor Somogyi-
Vass, voffcheg109, Walker Carlson, wenbingshen, wycccccc,
xakassi, Xavier Léauté, Yilong Chang, zhangyue19921010

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on
how to report problems, and to get involved, visit the
project website at https://kafka.apache.org/

Thank you!

Regards,

John Roesler

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 2.8.0

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Ran,

As part of the KRaft work outlined in KIP-500, we are planning on creating an authorizer that does not rely on ZooKeeper.  This work is not included in the 2.8 release, however.

regards,
Colin

Posted by Ran Lupovich <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.
Wow, 2.8! I remember 0.8.2.0 :)

Thanks for all the work everyone, and thank you John for putting together
the release!

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.
Wow, 2.8! I remember 0.8.2.0 :)

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.