Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@paraliansoftware.com> on 2003/12/17 01:05:32 UTC

OT: How do you use CVS?

I'm just now starting to setup CVS for my Cocoon based projects and I'm
wondering how other Cocoon users use CVS.

My project directory structure is probably similar to others using
Cocoon and Ant. It's something like this:

Project
  - build.sh
  - build.xml
  - etc
  - - cocoon.xconf (and others)
- lib
- src
- web
- - (various files and directories, some text and some binary)

I'd need to put at least src/ and two dirs under web/ (stylesheets and
xsp's) into CVS, but I'd actually like to just import the whole
project. I'm not so sure what to do about the JAR's in lib/ and the
graphics under web/

What are others doing out there? And are you integrating CVS with Ant?

Thanks a bunch,
   Justin

Re: OT: How do you use CVS?

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@paraliansoftware.com>.
Yeah I saw that. There's a lot to learn as a newbie to CVS.

What I did for now was use the -kb option so that CVS didn't tranlate
line breaks or do any keyword substitution.

After reading about keyword substitution though I'm thinking that it
could be used with XSP to give you version numbers.

The point made about using disc space on binaries since CVS can't store
the diffs is a good one. I think I'll reorganize my directories so I
don't have binary files and text file mixed in the same dir.

Thanks,
   Justin

Re: OT: How do you use CVS?

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
CVSROOT/cvswarappers

RE: OT: How do you use CVS?

Posted by Morley Howell <mo...@orbiscommunications.com>.
Since CVS doesn't store binary diffs, storing all of the jars in CVS could
chew up disk space quickly if you're going to be changing versions of Cocoon
often.

It could also make it painful to upgrade to a new version of Cocoon later.
You could consider storing the Cocoon war, either in CVS or as a Maven
project, and using some automation to extract that war into your development
and/or build environment. Like everything, this approach comes with its own
disadvantages.

Re: OT: How do you use CVS?

Posted by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@paraliansoftware.com>.

Re: OT: How do you use CVS?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Justin Fagnani-Bell wrote:
> I'm just now starting to setup CVS for my Cocoon based projects and I'm
> wondering how other Cocoon users use CVS.
>
> My project directory structure is probably similar to others using
> Cocoon and Ant. It's something like this:
>
> Project
>  - build.sh
>  - build.xml
>  - etc
>  - - cocoon.xconf (and others)
> - lib
> - src
> - web
> - - (various files and directories, some text and some binary)
>
> I'd need to put at least src/ and two dirs under web/ (stylesheets and
> xsp's) into CVS, but I'd actually like to just import the whole project.
> I'm not so sure what to do about the JAR's in lib/ and the graphics
> under web/
>
> What are others doing out there? And are you integrating CVS with Ant?

I don't understand the question.  Just check everything into cvs.  If a
file is binary, just make sure you check it in as such.  WinCVS and
other gui clients give easy ways to do that without really knowing too
much about cvs.

I use ant and I use cvs but I don't use cvs from Ant, though others do
and I may in the future.  At work I am experimenting with subversion (a
next generation cvs-like repository) and do plan to use it from within
ant for part of our deploy process.

Geoff