Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@humaniteque.com> on 2005/09/12 20:40:08 UTC

Installing apache2/mod_perl2 on mac os x 10.3.9

Last time I tried to do a mod_perl 2 install on my OS X box was met
with abysmal failure
on my part.  I ended up having to reinstall my whole box, what a
nightmare.

I've been lurking on this mailing list since then, and I've learned so
much.
Now, I find myself aching to get rolling with mod_perl 2.  Unfortunately
Mac OS X installs apache 1.33 as default and doesn't give the source.
Even though it says on cpan that mod_perl is still not to be used in a
production
environment it would seem as though it's used all over that way.

So I guess I have two questions really:

1st Does anyone know of a step by step approach to getting apache2/mp2
installed on OS X 10.3.9 that's not going to ruin my current installs?

2nd Is it even a good idea now, or should I let others do it first,
iron out the issues
then wait for an official darwin release?

Any help would be much appreciated, including redirecting me to the
appropriate list
if this isn't it.

Thanks,
Boysenberry

boysenberrys.com | habitatlife.com | selfgnosis.com

Re: Installing apache2/mod_perl2 on mac os x 10.3.9

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Boysenberry Payne wrote:
>
>> Yes I have OS X 10.3.9 "Panther"
>>
>> So for the $PREFIX I would use whatever directory I normally install
>> into correct?
>> Like $PREFIX =  '/usr'
>> Right?
>
> You can yes.

Unless you are planning on wiping the httpd/mod_perl that ships with
OS X ;-)

PREFIX=/usr/local/mystuff

would be a much better solution.

That way, you leave OS X's bundled stuff alone.

Re: Installing apache2/mod_perl2 on mac os x 10.3.9

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Boysenberry Payne wrote:
> Yes I have OS X 10.3.9 "Panther"
>
> So for the $PREFIX I would use whatever directory I normally install
> into correct?
> Like $PREFIX =  '/usr'
> Right?
You can yes.

That would give you ... just make sure these paths don't conflict with anything -- I don't know where Darwin puts things
off hand.

/usr/httpd
/usr/perl

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: Installing apache2/mod_perl2 on mac os x 10.3.9

Posted by Boysenberry Payne <bo...@humaniteque.com>.
Yes I have OS X 10.3.9 "Panther"

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Boysenberry Payne wrote:
> 1st Does anyone know of a step by step approach to getting apache2/mp2
> installed on OS X 10.3.9 that's not going to ruin my current installs?

 From source: