Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Per Moeller <pm...@stripe.dk> on 2000/12/12 23:48:47 UTC

Segmentation fault

Does anyone have problem with Apache 1.3.12 / Mod_perl 1.24 making it's
childs do segmentation faults whenever the server requested to execute a
perl module?

If I request a piece of graphics, it works fine, but not if the page is
generated by mod_perl. I have no compile errors, all the modules works on
the previous development machine but not this newly installed machine.

The only difference I can see, is that I installed perl 5.6.0 before
installing the mod_perl apache, should that cause any problems?

The system is running on FreeBSD 4.2.

// Per Moeller

Re: Segmentation fault

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

PM> The only difference I can see, is that I installed perl 5.6.0 before
PM> installing the mod_perl apache, should that cause any problems?

PM> The system is running on FreeBSD 4.2.

A mod_perl snapshot from CVS as of yesterday works just fine with the
stock perl 5.005_03 that is part of FreeBSD 4.2.  What I do is install
apache+mod_ssl from /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl, then install
mod_perl from a cvs checked out copy using apxs (just follow the
instructions in README.apaci).

Works great.  As for moving to perl 5.6, I don't know what problems
that would cause.  Perhaps you should try using the latest CVS
snapshot of mod_perl to see if that works.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Perl 5.6.1 - When? [Was Re: Segmentation fault]

Posted by Ajit Deshpande <aj...@skycorp.net>.
On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:43:05AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

> Is there some place that has collected the "recommended" patches for
> 5.6.0?  There don't seem to be any patches for it on CPAN... You'd
> think that 5.6.1 would come out by now to fix up the problems people
> have been having with 5.6 especially in mod_perl...

5.6.1-trial1 expected by this weekend. That should include all the
recommended list of patches for 5.6.0.

See:

Ajit

Re: Segmentation fault

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

Re: Segmentation fault

Posted by Jeremy Howard <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

RE: Segmentation fault

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Per Moeller wrote:

> A couple of days ago I asked the question below, but nobody seemed to be
> able to answer it.
>
> Well, in case somebody else runs into this problem I can tell that my
> solution to the problem was to use perl5.005 and not install perl5.6.0 until
> after i completed the installation of mod_perl / Apache and the modules i
> needed for it.

Huh? You've built mod_perl with one version of perl, but then installed
another binary incompatible (+ different hardcoded INC) perl version and
you think to get away with that? All the new modules that you are going to
build won't work with mod_perl if they have XS in them and you build these
with another perl version... Unless you've managed to keep both
installation around, but then it doesn't matter.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

RE: Segmentation fault

Posted by Per Moeller <pm...@stripe.dk>.

Re: Segmentation fault

Posted by Jeremy Howard <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Alex Algard wrote:
> I've seen a similar issue on our machine. We're running:

<...>

> > Does anyone have problem with Apache 1.3.12 / Mod_perl 1.24 making it's
> > childs do segmentation faults whenever the server requested to execute a
> > perl module?
> >
> > If I request a piece of graphics, it works fine, but not if the page is
> > generated by mod_perl. I have no compile errors, all the modules works
on
> > the previous development machine but not this newly installed machine.
> >
> > The only difference I can see, is that I installed perl 5.6.0 before
> > installing the mod_perl apache, should that cause any problems?
> >
> > The system is running on FreeBSD 4.2.

Maybe it's this old bug:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/182/2000/6/0/3863601/

PS--Alex: Please add your message _after_ the original message, not
_before_, since otherwise long threads get hard to follow. Thanks!

RE: Segmentation fault

Posted by Alex Algard <al...@cardomain.com>.
I've seen a similar issue on our machine. We're running:

- mod_perl 1.24
- apache 1.3.12-25
- RedHat 7.0
- plenty of spare RAM

and only when we include certain of our own Perl modules in startup.pl do we
see the following in the error_log:

[Mon Dec 11 13:11:17 2000] [notice] child pid 2991 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)

If we only use these certain modules in our mod_perl scripts (and not in
startup.pl), the segmentation faults don't occur. I was unable to spend any
time on tracking the bug down, but I'd also be curious to hear more about
this issue and any suggestions.

Alex Algard