Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/06/26 15:30:35 UTC

Suggested reading: Bitter Java

I highly recommend the book "Bitter Java" by Bruce Tate (published by
Manning Publications).  Someone gave me a copy to help me come to grips
with a way of explaining things.  However, I found this book a treasure
trove of information.

Bitter Java is about studying Antipatterns that are common in Java
programming.  He covers a wide range of issues from memory management
to EJB design.  There are antipatterns in Cache systems, Servlets,
and more.

In fact, I suggest that we follow the same pattern of representing ideas
as Bruce Tate by giving anti-pattern and corrective pattern.  It will
help us get on the same page much quicker if we know what anti-pattern
we are trying to correct with our new pattern.

Cocoon would definitely benefit from understanding the anti-patterns
surrounding how to use it.  It is better to allow everyone to learn
from your mistakes than be condemned to learn the same lessons over and
over.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Suggested reading: Bitter Java

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I highly recommend the book "Bitter Java" by Bruce Tate (published by
> Manning Publications).  Someone gave me a copy to help me come to grips
> with a way of explaining things.  However, I found this book a treasure

Check out the *Free* PDF at TheServerSide:
<http://www.theserverside.com/books/Manning/index.jsp>

Greets
Gerhard

--

"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
Right now, I am so far behind I shall never die."

Weblogging at: http://radio.weblogs.com/0107791/