Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/08 00:25:05 UTC

Editing documentation for release: BUILDING.md

Re-reading BUILDING.md, it seems like this doc might be a victim of being
added to iteratively over time without consideration to the overall
structure. I am purposing to par down some of the language and shift the
sections around in a flow that a novice quickstep user would probably want:

0 a header with TOC
1 basic building instructions
2 common flags we use for quick troubleshooting
3 List of advanced cmake flags
4 appendix of other, uncommon features
   - building on windows
   - vagrant

I'll make a PR with these changes, but does anyone have an initial
objection to the change in structure?

Re: Editing documentation for release: BUILDING.md

Posted by Jignesh Patel <jm...@gmail.com>.
Great changes! +1 for replacing the current building doc with this one.

Cheers,
Jignesh

On 2/7/17, 6:43 PM, "Marc Spehlmann" <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

    For example, here is the edited doc:
    https://github.com/cramja/incubator-quickstep/blob/refactor-building/BUILDING.md#prerequisites

Posted by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@gmail.com>.
curl is needed for the download_script. There's probably many other prereqs
(git/bash) that are required, but they're sort of obvious to system
builders. So I could see removing it for that reason.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <jm...@gmail.com>.
Marc,

Posted by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@gmail.com>.