Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Oleg V Alexeev <go...@penza.net> on 2001/11/21 17:50:34 UTC

About Log4j using

Hello Struts,

  Now I try to make Jakarta-Log4j based Log4jService - service for
  ServiceManager - to make this service available for all Struts
  environment for common logging mechanism. But great part of Log4j is
  based on static methods and vars...

  My main idea is to write some kind of Adapter for various logging
  implementations - LogService. ServiceManager, ActionServlet and
  Action classes can use it to perform logging operations. Default
  implementation for LogService is Log4jService - ServiceManager
  instantiates it at init moment, if no one logger class is specified
  in config. By this scheme end developer can write his own LogService
  implementation (for example, JSR47 specification based) and all
  stuff will use it as standart logger.

  So logger instance must hide all details from Action classes.
  Concrete logger must work with some object to perform logging
  operations - create at init moment, configure it and use as internal
  resource. Static methods and vars in Log4j is not so good for such
  model....

  Can anybody suppose any idea about logging mechanism or about some
  logging implementation without static stuff?

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                          mailto:gonza@penza.net

Re[2]: About Log4j using

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <go...@penza.net>.
Hello Incze,

>>   Can anybody suppose any idea about logging mechanism or about some
>>   logging implementation without static stuff?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Oleg                          mailto:gonza@penza.net

IL> I'm not sure that with or without statics but some generic logger interface
IL> work has started in the commons project. It's in a very early state and
IL> gives you a generic Log interface and a LogSource factory which defaults
IL> to log4j if available or to a NoOpLog logger if not. I think the plan was
IL> to adapt this intterface to avalon's logkit and jdk1.4's log package, too.

Thank you - good news...

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:gonza@penza.net

Re: About Log4j using

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.
>   Can anybody suppose any idea about logging mechanism or about some
>   logging implementation without static stuff?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Oleg                          mailto:gonza@penza.net

I'm not sure that with or without statics but some generic logger interface
work has started in the commons project. It's in a very early state and
gives you a generic Log interface and a LogSource factory which defaults
to log4j if available or to a NoOpLog logger if not. I think the plan was
to adapt this intterface to avalon's logkit and jdk1.4's log package, too.

incze