Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Devin Heitmueller <dh...@netilla.com> on 2002/12/17 21:38:06 UTC

Release date for mod_perl 2.0

I am starting a new project that makes use of functionality required in
Apache 2.  Naturally, I would like to use mod_perl, but mod_perl 2.0 is
still in beta.

Can anyone offer any information about when they feel mod_perl will be
stable enough for use in a production environment?  I intend to use it
with the prefork MPM in Apache, if that has any relevance to how stable
mod_perl 2.0 is in that mode (since there should be no multithreading
issues).

I'm in a difficult position because the project will be completed in a
couple of months.  If the consensus is that mod_perl 2.0 will be
released by that point, then everything will be fine (I'll develop using
the beta code).  If it is still months from being stable enough for
release, I will have to investigate alternatives.

Thanks in advance,

--
Devin Heitmueller
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Release date for mod_perl 2.0

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2002, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>I'm in a difficult position because the project will be completed in a
>>couple of months.  If the consensus is that mod_perl 2.0 will be
>>released by that point, then everything will be fine (I'll develop using
>>the beta code).  If it is still months from being stable enough for
>>release, I will have to investigate alternatives.
>

> It will get stable faster if you choose to use it. :-)

True, other than porting the remaining APIs, we need your bug reports so
those ported can be fixed.

Other than that perfork mpm is probably in a pretty good shape. Doug
says that a few Covalent's clients use it in production for quite a
while. Check whether you have all the APIs that you need available, and
if so give it a stress test. You can use Apache::compat for those APIs
that for some reason aren't there yet. See:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/compat/compat.html

p.s. when you test, please use the cvs mod_perl version. We plan to make
a new beta release soon, since many things were fixed/added since the
last release.

Re: Release date for mod_perl 2.0

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On 17 Dec 2002, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

[...]
> I'm in a difficult position because the project will be completed in a
> couple of months.  If the consensus is that mod_perl 2.0 will be
> released by that point, then everything will be fine (I'll develop using
> the beta code).  If it is still months from being stable enough for
> release, I will have to investigate alternatives.

It will get stable faster if you choose to use it. :-)

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ !try; do();

Re: Release date for mod_perl 2.0

Posted by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org>.
On Dec 17 Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> Can anyone offer any information about when they feel mod_perl will be
> stable enough for use in a production environment?

Sometime next year.

See:
http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/krekrouslor/3DE40CE7.9070207@stason.org

Now, back to lurking.