Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1998/01/20 01:19:32 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite guidelines.html

dgaudet@hyperreal.org wrote:

> dgaudet     98/01/19 15:57:15
>
>   Modified:    .        guidelines.html
>   Log:
>   Remove a redunant rule, "experimental new features" is covered by the first
>   rule.
>
>    <UL>
>   -<LI>Advance notice (<EM>e.g.</EM>, "I'll be working on flurgl.c") will be given
>   -<LI>The CVS tree should be expected to compile at all times; if it
>   -    is possible that the code will result in some platforms not
>   -    compiling, notice of this should be announced.
>   -<LI>Experimental new features must be discussed before implemented
>   +<LI>Advance notice of ideas and features will be given.  No advance notice
>   +    is required to do bug fixes.
>   +<LI>The CVS tree should compile at all times.  It's permitted to break
>   +    platforms (i.e. win32) when adding new files to the distribution.
>    <LI>The committer is responsible for the quality of the third-party code
>        they bring into the code.
>    <LI>Related changes should be posted at once, or very closely together;

I don't agree with this. The Advance notice clause covers things that
might not be "experimental" depending on what you call experimental.
The way this is written, someone could say "Nah.... I din't think this
was experimental" and not discuss it, whereas someone could retort
"Damn straight it's experimental!"

The whole idea is to give people advance notice that something is being
worked on for the reasons given in guidelines;