Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/12 09:50:23 UTC

Fwd: uri of binding.ws should be used restrictedly

Had this over on the user list about how the binding.ws uri is ignored if
you use wsdlElement with #wsdl.port. We used to throw an exception in that
case which I think makes things much clearer but that code has been changed
so that no longer happens. Was that removed intentionally or could i add it
back?

   ...ant

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, as far as I recollect there was a discussion around this....(am still
trying to pull that thread out) and the exception was intentionally pulled
out.  I guess a WARNING is something that we must throw at the least.

- Venkat

Re: Fwd: uri of binding.ws should be used restrictedly

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:

> confusing.

The same thing as why it goes on in line 84/85 to say you can't have an EPR
and wsdlElement port together

What's the bug in the spec?

Line 84/85 should continue on to say what to do about when you specify a uri
attribute together with a wsdl port or EPR.

> And it doesn't seem very user friendly to just
> > ignore a users input whether or not we give a warning as thats likely to
> > just get buried in a log somewhere, so i'd prefer and exception.
>
> Forcing the application developer to modify the <binding.ws> and remove
> the uri attribute, to be able to specify the SOAP address in his WSDL is
> not user friendly either, and not in line with the spec.

I just don't see that as a very common thing to want to be doing.

>  Isn't that
> > what we agreed last time this came up -
> >
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200707.mbox/browser
> .
> >

> This points to the whole July archive :)

Oops,
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200707.mbox/%3c001f01c7c70a$ae8412c0$6601a8c0@rfengt60p%3e

Re: Fwd: uri of binding.ws should be used restrictedly

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On 9/12/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Mike Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Comments inline
>>>
>>> Yours,  Mike.

>>> So, the question is that if both the URI and a WSDL are used, then
>>> they can conflict?
>>>
>>> From what you say, the WSDL wins "silently" in the current code.  As a
>>> result, looking at the URI in the SCDL does not help - it is confusing.
>>>
>>> I think that at least a warning is called for.  Whether an exception
>>> is the right thing, I'm less sure.  The general rule with SCA WS
>>> binding is that once you start using WSDL, then it is taken as
>>> gospel.  That is true for all kinds of metadata that can live in the
>>> WSDL.
>>>
>>> Only serious conflicts such as mismatch of interfaces or inability to
>>> satisfy specified intents should really cause exceptions.  However,
>>> warnings of conflicts seem useful since it will bring the user's
>>> attention to what may indeed be a problem.

What's not clear?

What's the bug in the spec?

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Fwd: uri of binding.ws should be used restrictedly

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Mike Edwards wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Comments inline
> >
> > Yours,  Mike.
> >
> > ant elder wrote:
> >> Had this over on the user list about how the binding.ws uri is
> >> ignored if
> >> you use wsdlElement with #wsdl.port. We used to throw an exception in
> >> that
> >> case which I think makes things much clearer but that code has been
> >> changed
> >> so that no longer happens. Was that removed intentionally or could i
> >> add it
> >> back?
> >>
> >>    ...ant
> >>

> > So, the question is that if both the URI and a WSDL are used, then
> > they can conflict?
> >
> > From what you say, the WSDL wins "silently" in the current code.  As a
> > result, looking at the URI in the SCDL does not help - it is confusing.
> >
> > I think that at least a warning is called for.  Whether an exception
> > is the right thing, I'm less sure.  The general rule with SCA WS
> > binding is that once you start using WSDL, then it is taken as
> > gospel.  That is true for all kinds of metadata that can live in the
> > WSDL.
> >
> > Only serious conflicts such as mismatch of interfaces or inability to
> > satisfy specified intents should really cause exceptions.  However,
> > warnings of conflicts seem useful since it will bring the user's
> > attention to what may indeed be a problem.

thats a bug in the spec. And it doesn't seem very user friendly to just
ignore a users input whether or not we give a warning as thats likely to
just get buried in a log somewhere, so i'd prefer and exception. Isn't that

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Mike Edwards wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Comments inline
>
> Yours,  Mike.
>
> ant elder wrote:
>> Had this over on the user list about how the binding.ws uri is
>> ignored if
>> you use wsdlElement with #wsdl.port. We used to throw an exception in
>> that
>> case which I think makes things much clearer but that code has been
>> changed
>> so that no longer happens. Was that removed intentionally or could i
>> add it
>> back?
>>
>>    ...ant
>>

> So, the question is that if both the URI and a WSDL are used, then
> they can conflict?
>
> From what you say, the WSDL wins "silently" in the current code.  As a
> result, looking at the URI in the SCDL does not help - it is confusing.
>
> I think that at least a warning is called for.  Whether an exception
> is the right thing, I'm less sure.  The general rule with SCA WS
> binding is that once you start using WSDL, then it is taken as
> gospel.  That is true for all kinds of metadata that can live in the
> WSDL.
>
> Only serious conflicts such as mismatch of interfaces or inability to
> satisfy specified intents should really cause exceptions.  However,
> warnings of conflicts seem useful since it will bring the user's
> attention to what may indeed be a problem.

+1 to log a [WARNING].

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Fwd: uri of binding.ws should be used restrictedly

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Comments inline

Yours,  Mike.

ant elder wrote:
> Had this over on the user list about how the binding.ws uri is ignored if
> you use wsdlElement with #wsdl.port. We used to throw an exception in that
> case which I think makes things much clearer but that code has been changed
> so that no longer happens. Was that removed intentionally or could i add it
> back?
>
>    ...ant

So, the question is that if both the URI and a WSDL are used, then they
can conflict?

 From what you say, the WSDL wins "silently" in the current code.  As a

Posted by shaoguang geng <ge...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, Ant,

I just think respected code is ok, uri is just from osoa's specification. The theory is convenient, but the fact is not (web service is some thing good but too loosely coupled).

ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote: Had this over on the user list about how the binding.ws uri is ignored if
you use wsdlElement with #wsdl.port. We used to throw an exception in that
case which I think makes things much clearer but that code has been changed
so that no longer happens. Was that removed intentionally or could i add it
back?

   ...ant

> uri attribute of  is much convenient to attach a WS in.
>
> But it works only within a few circumstances, such as another java
> generated WS provided by Tuscany, JAXWS.
>
> But much more WS is complecated, such as JBoss or even a Tuscany WS when
> the wsdl becomes delicate.
>
> Under these circumstances, pre loading wsdl (locally save the wsdl) and
> use "wsdlElement" will do most of them. Up to now, I have gone over it with
> JBoss and ODE.
>
> So I just think, to make things frank, I would suggest that Tuscany user
> should be warned of uri's limitation, and encouraged of using wsdl
> preloading.

The uri attribute should always get used unless the wsdlElement is pointing
at the port (ie using "#wsdl.port") in which case the uri attribute is
ignored. So you can use both uri and pre loaded wsdl as long as you use
#wsdl.binding within the wsdlElement.

I agree its confusing that the uri can get completely ignored, the code did
used to throw an exception in that case so it was obvious there was a
conflict, i'll bring it up on the dev list to see if we can add that back.

   ...ant

Don't let your dream ride pass you by.    Make it a reality with Yahoo! Autos.