Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Kelly Clauson <kc...@earthlink.net> on 2003/03/19 02:09:03 UTC

tile definition for initial page

Hello,

I'm so close. I have implemented tiles by using the Tiles Plug-in and tile
definitions.

All is well, except I don't know how to get my entry page (index.jsp) to
use the tiles. Once past this page, all other pages properly load the tiles.

I've tried a couple things to no avail. First, I have a definition like
this:

 <definition name="baseDef" path="/layouts/layout.jsp">
        <put name="header" value="/header.jsp"/>
        <put name="footer" value="/footer.jsp"/>
        <put name="menu" value="/menu.jsp"/>
        <put name="body" value=""/>
    </definition>

    <definition name="indexDef" extends="baseDef">
        <put name="title" value="Welcome"/>
        <put name="body" value="/index.jsp"/>
    </definition>

But that does not seem to get picked up. So, I thought I could rename
indexDef to welcomeDef and set the body value to welcome.jsp. Then I put a
logic:redirect tag in index.jsp, setting the page attribute to
"/Welcome.do" (after renaming IndexForm and IndexAction to WelcomeForm and
WelcomeAction) but that did not do the trick either.

My action mapping, after Index to Welcome looks like this:

<action path="/Welcome"
      type="my.WelcomeAction"
      validate="true"
      input="/welcome.jsp"
      name="WelcomeForm"
      scope="request" >
      <forward name="upload" path="uploadDef"/>
      <forward name="summary" path="summaryDef"/>
      <forward name="edit" path="editDef"/>
    </action>

I'm trying to get the definition of index or welcome to be used when users
first access the site but I'm not sure how to do it.

I would really appreciate any pointers.
Thanks!

Kelly

Re: tile definition for initial page

Posted by James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org>.
Kelly Clauson wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm so close.

Yup. Definately on the right track.

>I have implemented tiles by using the Tiles Plug-in and tile
>definitions.
>
>All is well, except I don't know how to get my entry page (index.jsp) to
>use the tiles. Once past this page, all other pages properly load the tiles.
>
>I've tried a couple things to no avail. First, I have a definition like
>this:
>
> <definition name="baseDef" path="/layouts/layout.jsp">
>        <put name="header" value="/header.jsp"/>
>        <put name="footer" value="/footer.jsp"/>
>        <put name="menu" value="/menu.jsp"/>
>        <put name="body" value=""/>
>    </definition>

Right.

>    <definition name="indexDef" extends="baseDef">
>        <put name="title" value="Welcome"/>
>        <put name="body" value="/index.jsp"/>
>    </definition>

In our system this is:
<definition name="welcome" extends="baseDef">
  <put name="title" value="Welcome"/>
  <put name="body" value="/welcome.jsp"/>
</definition>

>But that does not seem to get picked up. So, I thought I could rename
>indexDef to welcomeDef and set the body value to welcome.jsp. Then I put a
>logic:redirect tag in index.jsp, setting the page attribute to
>"/Welcome.do" (after renaming IndexForm and IndexAction to WelcomeForm and
>WelcomeAction) but that did not do the trick either.
>
>My action mapping, after Index to Welcome looks like this:
>
><action path="/Welcome"
>      type="my.WelcomeAction"
>      validate="true"
>      input="/welcome.jsp"
>      name="WelcomeForm"
>      scope="request" >
>      <forward name="upload" path="uploadDef"/>
>      <forward name="summary" path="summaryDef"/>
>      <forward name="edit" path="editDef"/>
>    </action>

Then this becomes:
<action path="/index"
    type="org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.NoOpAction">
  <forward name="success" path="welcome"/>
</action>

And, finally, index.jsp is simply:
  <logic:redirect page="/index.do"/>