Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2000/12/13 17:46:47 UTC

New task : get jar for classpath

Hi,

I have just spent some hours trying to get everything to build
catalina, regexp, ant just so I could build struts.  Probably most of
that unnecessarily I am sure, but I am a newbie to jakarta (more
usually found in the Avalon list).

The <get> built-in task seems to look interesting to solve such
problems, but I think it is going to do the retrieval every time it is
invoked.  It would be nice if there were a way of the get being
conditional on 1) a question ....

  "Would you like XLS transform capability?
   If yes, then the build process will get
   the dependant jar for you"

... and 2) what the previous build's answer to the question 1 was.

E.g.

  <get src="http://xml.apache.org/xalan/xalan1.2.3.zip"
        dest="xalan.jar"
        conditional-question="Would you blah blah blah.."
        verbose="true"
        usetimestamps="true"/>

Regards,

- Paul H

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Re: New task : get jar for classpath

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/13/2000 8:46 AM, "Paul Hammant" <pa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just spent some hours trying to get everything to build
> catalina, regexp, ant just so I could build struts.  Probably most of
> that unnecessarily I am sure, but I am a newbie to jakarta (more
> usually found in the Avalon list).
>
> The <get> built-in task seems to look interesting to solve such
> problems, but I think it is going to do the retrieval every time it is
> invoked.  It would be nice if there were a way of the get being
> conditional on 1) a question ....
>
> "Would you like XLS transform capability?
> If yes, then the build process will get
> the dependant jar for you"
>
> ... and 2) what the previous build's answer to the question 1 was.
>
> E.g.
>
> <get src="http://xml.apache.org/xalan/xalan1.2.3.zip"
> dest="xalan.jar"
> conditional-question="Would you blah blah blah.."
> verbose="true"
> usetimestamps="true"/>

Please see the archives for the recent thread titled:

[PROPOSAL] jar distribution system

-jon

--
Honk if you love peace and quiet.