Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stan Levine <st...@bestweb.net> on 2001/12/25 00:26:55 UTC

Problem Installing Tomcat.4.0.1 on Redhat Linux 7.0

I am new to Linux, Apache and Tomcat. I am trying to install Tomcat 4.0.1. I already have Apache 1.3.12
installed as part of my Redhat Linux 7.0 installation. I  downloaded webapp-module-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar.gz.
1) First I ran gunzip and built the tar file
2) Then I ran tar -xvf webapp-module-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar to extract the files.
3) Then I followed the instructions in
    webapp-module-1.0-tc40/INSTALL.txt
     a) I copied mod_webapp.do to my modules directory
            /usr/lib/apache
     b) I added the LoadModule and AddModule lines to
                 /etc/httpd/httpd.conf
---> I can't find the apachect1 script.  My ServerName is /etc/httpd. This contains directory conf,
 and link logs ---> /var/log/httpd, and link modules ---> /usr/lib/apache.  There is  no apachect1 script file in any of these directories.  Also, where are the apache scripts to start and stop apache?
---> Regard the next instructions:  do I add the WEBAPPConnection and WebAppDeploy statements to
       httpd.conf just they are in the instructions?     or do they require modification?
---> I can't find the server.xml file, or any of the directories(bin,conf,doc,lib,logs,webapps) that are supposed to be in
        the standard Tomcat setup.

   Thanks for your help.

  Stan

Re: Problem Installing Tomcat.4.0.1 on Redhat Linux 7.0

Posted by Cynthia Jeness <cj...@goldencode.com>.
Stan,

The "webapp-module-1.0..." just contains the WebApp connector.  You also need
to get either the rpm or the tgz for Tomcat itself.  Then you will get the
stuff that you are missing.

In terms of the syntax error, was it something like "Invalid virtual server
name...".  This has bee address at least twice on then Tomcat mailing list, but
since the solutions seemed different (again I am not an Apache expert), I am
not sure which approach is best.  The first solution was to uncomment the
"ServerName" line.

Cynthia

Posted by Cynthia Jeness <cj...@goldencode.com>.