Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/25 04:43:53 UTC

What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

    *Hello Pivot Users and Developers!**
    *
    I invite your to participate in an informal poll:
    "What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?"

    I hope it will help us all understand where we stand and where are
    we going.

    Poll have only 7 questions and no registration required.

    To take the poll:
    http://www.polljunkie.com/zJA9A4/Poll22384.aspx

    To view the results of the poll:
    http://www.polljunkie.com/tA4NAL/View22384.aspx

    Thank you,

    Andrei

Re: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by Othmen Tiliouine <ti...@gmail.com>.
and I'm not the only one to have this need

http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/Replace-column-in-table-view-td3375080.html

http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/Cell-selection-in-TableView-td3339330.html

Re: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by Othmen Tiliouine <ti...@gmail.com>.
For the default mode "MULTI" why not support the combination of CTRL +
SHIFT together
... For example if I have a 100 rows TableView and I want to select rows 10
-> 30 and  60 -> 90 normally I can do that:
  1 - click on 10
  2 - SHIFT + click 30
  3 - CTRL + click on 60
  4 CTRL + SHIFT + click on 90

in the current implementation it does not handle the CTRL + SHIFT and the
sequence I gave, give a selection of rows 10 -> 90 (needless to manage it
like that becaufe if i want to select rows 10 -> 90 i can do it simply by
two actions: click on 10 and SHIFT + click on 90)

in my implementation of multicells I considered the CTRL + SHIFT, it gives more
possibilities to the user

Re: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by Othmen Tiliouine <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger

I know very well that to know the attributes we just go to the javadoc and
setXXX methods, but otherwise explore the component it is mainly css I
believe and when we change a property we dont see the change in the code
BXML view

and I know that swing draws his strength from hist high developpers
community and that Flex is advanced compared to Pivot because he is older
but the developer seeks the most mature technology and cares reasons that
maturity.

I'm glad to know that there are alot of developers working on Pivot.

I advance in my TableView. after the first test SINGLECELL and MULTICELS
selection modes have area to operate correctly

http://i.imgur.com/wM8dDkN.png?1

against by the code is not very well organized because as I said I copied
wholes classes that are related to TableView

the code is here https://github.com/influence160/fazet-pivot

the module demo is a demo to test the TableView

Clmt Othmen.

RE: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
Hi Othmen,
	Thank you for taking the time to answer.  I can certainly see
why you would be frustrated with Pivot based on these experiences.  But,
let me say that some of these things are simple to answer, and maybe we
should do better about documenting some things, and ways of doing
things.  And other things you mentioned might be candidates for new
features in Pivot.
	The best way to know what attributes are available is to use
either the Component Explorer (which you have already explored) or to
use the Javadoc, where the available attributes for a component will be
the "setXXX" methods, and the styles will be the "setXXX" methods of the
component's skin class (which is often the TerraXXXXSkin class).  You
are right that there are no autocompletion files for BXML to know what
attributes are available, and maybe someone on the list could help with
that.  What development environment are you using?  Eclipse?  Or
something else?
	Also, unlike Swing, JavaFX and probably even Flex, there are
many fewer developers working on Pivot, so you probably cannot expect
things to be changed or improved as fast as some other projects
(although I haven't seen any changes to Swing in > 5 years), but being
open-source, there is the possibility that anyone (including yourself)
could contribute to these improvements, based on things you need.
	Please feel free to ask specific questions about things you're
having trouble with and we will try to help you.

HTH,
~Roger Whitcomb

Re: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by Othmen Tiliouine <ti...@gmail.com>.
*[google traductor]*
I am interested in Apache Pivot because I want to make an app so I
wanted to choose
the technology that goes best with my application
the first thing I did I went to explore the components
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html.
first impression is there's standars components that can be found in Flex,
JavaFX, Swing ... but nothing special composnants not very advanced and it
is normal for a new technology
then to see if I can make my application with Pivot i started developing some
tests with the TableView component, because for my application the DataTable is
the most important component, I must have a DataTable that has many
opportunities and most of all I must have the possibility to select a
column and
do a drag drop one column for him changed position in the DataTable. with
some test I perceived that the possible selection are Single row and Multi
rows. yet my need is not very specific, it can be found in Swing and Flex and
other technologies

but I have not done many development with Pivot just a small demo that uses
TableView, and Texarea BoxPane and ScrollPane

but the biggest problem I find is not the API but it is absense of
autocompletion in the view creation BXML I can not know what attributes I can
put in my component and sub-components which I can he added. and I
have some problems
with the layout and the ScrollPane that does not always show

Now I'm about to write a TableView that will allow me to select cells and
columns I did not do can extends the TableView because there are private and
not protected variables that i need to use and there are private inner
classes that I need to extend so I had to copy TableView class and all
classes that go with, and i wanted to extends org.apache.pivot.wtk.Span to
add some methods but it is a final class
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
*[in Frensh]
*je me suis interessé a Pivot parce que je veux faire une application alors
je voulait choisir la technologie qui va le mieux avec mon application,
la première chose que j'ai fait je suis allé voir le component explorer
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html.
première impression il y'a tous les composants standars q'on peut trouver
dans flex ,javaFx , Swing ... mais rien de spécial pas de composnants tres
avancés et c'est normal pour une technologie nouvelle
ensuite pour voir si je peut faire mon application avec Pivot j'ai comancé
a développé quelques tests avec le composant TableView parsque pour mon
application le DataTable est le composant le plus important, il me faut un
DataTable qui offre bocoups de possibilités et sourtout il me faut la
possibilité de selectionner une colonne et de faire un drag un drop de
colonne pour lui changé de position dans le DataTable avec quelques test je
me suis appercu que les modes de selection possibles sont Single row et
Multi rows pourtant mon besoin n'est pas très spécifique on peut trouver
ca  dans Swing et Flex et autres technologies

mais je n'ai pas fait bocoup de developpement avec Pivot juste une petite
demo qui utilise des TableView, Texarea et des BoxPane et des ScrollPane

mais le plus grand problème que je trouve c'est pas l'API  mais c'est
l'abcense d'autocompletion dans la création de la vue BXML je ne peut pas
savoir quels attributs je peut mettre dans mon composant et quels
sous-composants je peut lui ajouter.  et j'ai quelques problèmes avec les
Layout et le ScrollPane qui ne s'affiche pas toujours

maintenant je suis entrain d'ecrire un TableView qui va me permettre de
selectionner des cells et des colonnes je n'ai pas pus le faire extends
TableView parcequ'il ya des private et non protected variables et j'ai
besoin de les utiliser et des inner class private et j'ai besoin de les
etendre alors j'ai du copier la classe TableView et toutes les classes qui
vont avec, et j'ai voulu etendre la class org.apache.pivot.wtk.Span pour
lui ajouter des methodes mais elle est final

Re: What direction do we think, Pivot needs to go to be even more useful ?

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Othmen,
     Thank you for weighing in, but ... The question that was posed was
not really meant as a "bash Pivot" moment, but to get some constructive
criticism.
     So, if you think the API is "very poor", what do you mean exactly?
Our company has written a 150,000 line application, that is currently
shipping, using Pivot and I haven't found the API to be very poor at
all!  So, I would be interested to see what specifically you don't like
and where you have had problems (if you have started using it, that is).
     Also, I think your entire email was not sent because it stops in
mid-sentence...

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Posted by Othmen Tiliouine <ti...@gmail.com>.
does pivot has a future?

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
    *Hello there,*

    10 people out of 100 or so subscribers to pivot lists took the pool;

    Please check the results and participate in the poll yourself.