Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/09 19:13:58 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Java Components 6.0.0 released

The Apache Qpid community is pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Apache Qpid Java Components 6.0.0.

Qpid Java 6.0 release brings with it the following headline changes:

- Fully reimplemented AMQP IO layer utilising Java NIO
    Improved messaging performance - messages kept in direct memory
throughout their traversal of the Broker.
    IO processing now takes place thread pools mean Broker's resource
utilisation can be constrained
    TCP/IP back pressure from struggling consuming application will cause
the Broker to route messages elsewhere until application recovers
    Improved fairness in message distribution between competing consumers
- End to end encryption
- Logging now fully manageable from the UI/REST API
    Ability to log to Syslog, Stdout and produce a per virtual host log
file.

This release incorporates a number of defect fixes and enhancements.
<http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-java-6.0.0/index.html>

Release notes are available at:
   http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-java-6.0.0/release-notes.html

The release is available now from our website:
   http://qpid.apache.org/download.html

Maven artefacts are also available via Maven Central:
   http://qpid.apache.org/maven.html

Qpid Java 6.0.0 release page can be found here:
   http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-java-6.0.0/index.html

Thanks to all users and contributors who have helped to improve
Apache Qpid Java Components.

Re: End to end encryption? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Java Components 6.0.0 released)

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 9 December 2015 at 21:35, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/2015 08:06 PM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>
>> I'm aiming to get the user docs done before I go on vacation next week,
>> but
>> if there is anything else you want to know, please let me know.
>>

> Very helpful explanation, thanks! Is it just the body that is encrypted or
> are the original headers also encrypted?

Body and headers, though you can set another pseudo property in JMS to
indicate headers which you want to be exposed to the broker (for routing).
Such headers are duplicated into the unencoded headers, other application
headers are removed.

> I agree it would be nice to do this for AMQP 1.0 (signing also).

Yep - we started a little work on this years ago, but I think it'd be good
if we in the Qpid community started to work on something, prove that it
works interoperably then push it through OASIS.

-- Rob

Re: End to end encryption? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Qpid Java Components 6.0.0 released)

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I'll be writing up the doc shortly... At the moment it's a Java client
(0-9/0-10) thing, the only broker side thing is an (optional) mechanism for
distributing certificates.  Other clients could add a similar API, or
applications could perform the encoding/decoding to use this without
changing the clients... but we've not looked into that yet.

I'd really like us to do this for AMQP 1.0 too, but we should try to
standardise that amongst implementers / push through OASIS once we have it
implemented.

Basically what this provides is a way to have the (JMS) client handle the
encryption/decryption based on setting the desired recipient(s).

The changes were done in QPID-6576[1] ... The test[2] gives examples of
usage.  The recipient can be a single entity, or a semi-colon separated
list of entities.  The per message symmetric encryption key is encrypted
for each recipient using their public key - the recipients can then decode
using their private key.  It's modelled after RFC5652, but since AMQP has
it's own type system, and I didn't want to add a requirement for ASN.1
encoding/decoding, it's only a conceptual rather than implementation
similarity... also I only wanted to cover encryption and not signatures or
non-repudiation.

I'm aiming to get the user docs done before I go on vacation next week, but
if there is anything else you want to know, please let me know.

Cheers,
Rob

[1]  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-6576
[2]