Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by St...@nextgen.net on 2010/07/14 07:19:11 UTC

Custom view parameters???

HI I am working on a couchDB database that has a view called
search_with_criteria (pretty self explanatory) anyway this has
functionality to add view parameters such as ?fromDate and ?toDate...I am
just trying to work out thow this all works...are these standard view API
parameters? or are you able to make your own 'custom parameters' in
couchDB? if so Where would you store these??

oh also I should mention that the key of this view is a date with format
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss

Cheers

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:49 PM, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:
>
>> Ok, I see, So I guess I need to find out where the design doc is and have
>> a look at that then?
>>

> You can do all the queries you describe.
>
> it is just a matter of translating them to the couchdb view api.

I forgot: here are links about design docs.

http://barkingiguana.com/2009/01/20/adding-a-simple-view-to-couchdb

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/design-documents/design-documents

> These links are good for getting the high level understanding:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/View_collation
>
> http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2007/10/couchdb-joins
>
> between that and the view api you should be able to get started.
>
> if you need more guidance, let us know.
>
> best,
> Chris
>
>> also can u limit views by using a field from the 'values' as a parameter.
>> For example, say i have a value name as part of the view can i say
>> ?name=Steven
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> From:
>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 14/07/2010 03:38 PM
>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>

>> I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
>> there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.
>>
>> However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
>> think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
>> example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
>> client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>>> Date:
>>> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 13, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:

> Ok, I see, So I guess I need to find out where the design doc is and have
> a look at that then?

You can do all the queries you describe.

it is just a matter of translating them to the couchdb view api.

These links are good for getting the high level understanding:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/View_collation

http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2007/10/couchdb-joins

between that and the view api you should be able to get started.

if you need more guidance, let us know.

best,
Chris

> also can u limit views by using a field from the 'values' as a parameter.
> For example, say i have a value name as part of the view can i say
> ?name=Steven
>
> cheers
>

> From:
> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 03:38 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
> there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.
>
> However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
> think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
> example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
> client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.
>
> B.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>>

>> From:
>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM
>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>

>> The full set of view querying options are documented here;
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options
>>
>> HTH,
>> B.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>>> HI I am working on a couchDB database that has a view called
>>> search_with_criteria (pretty self explanatory) anyway this has
>>> functionality to add view parameters such as ?fromDate and ?toDate...I
>> am
>>> just trying to work out thow this all works...are these standard view
>> API
>>> parameters? or are you able to make your own 'custom parameters' in
>>> couchDB? if so Where would you store these??
>>>
>>> oh also I should mention that the key of this view is a date with
> format
>>> YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss
>>>
>>> Cheers

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by St...@nextgen.net.

From:
Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
To:
user@couchdb.apache.org
Date:
14/07/2010 03:38 PM
Re: Custom view parameters???

I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.

However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.

B.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>

> From:
> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> The full set of view querying options are documented here;
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options
>
> HTH,
> B.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>> HI I am working on a couchDB database that has a view called
>> search_with_criteria (pretty self explanatory) anyway this has
>> functionality to add view parameters such as ?fromDate and ?toDate...I
> am
>> just trying to work out thow this all works...are these standard view
> API
>> parameters? or are you able to make your own 'custom parameters' in
>> couchDB? if so Where would you store these??
>>
>> oh also I should mention that the key of this view is a date with
format
>> YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss
>>
>> Cheers

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by St...@nextgen.net.
Hey thanks for your help, I have found out what is causing the problem and
decided that I need to use a different view with multiple fields as a key,
but that is going to be a new string of emails as I attempt to do so haha!
thanks for all the links, they will come in handy as i am using a list
item called filter that has some javascript to further filter my new view.

cheers, no doubt Ill bug you all in the near future =)
SP

From:
J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>
To:
user@couchdb.apache.org
Date:
14/07/2010 04:55 PM
Re: Custom view parameters???

On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:

> I just realised that in futon you can open up the design doc haha my
bad!

> ok so in the design doc is a field called lists that has a criteria
filter
> inside that there are various things including todate and fromdate! so
> this is the source of the 'custom' parameters yes? so what is lists?? is

> there a wiki on it?

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/design-documents/lists

Another example of lists in action is:

http://couchapp.org/couchapp/_design/couchapp.org/_list/index/recent-posts?descending=true&limit=10

And the code for that list:

http://github.com/jchris/sofa/blob/master/lists/index.js

Some tools that help:

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/example-app/design-documents

Chris

> Cheers
>

> From:
> J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 04:28 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:
>
>> ok so I have found out that they are getting past as options from java
>> using jcouchDB, am I on the right track?
>>

> you are getting there. I'd suggest goofing around in Futon before you
> start hacking from Java.
>
> if you have a smaller database (1000 docs or less) it can be pretty fast

> to play with temp_views.
>
> http://localhost:5984/_utils/index.html
>
> Create a database, then select View: Temp View from the menu on the
> database page.
>
> Then you can enter your javascript views directly.
>
> Once you have it working, you can see how it runs queries using firebug
> (or the couch log), and copy the urls to your browser directly to play
> with parameters.
>
> Chris
>

>> From:
>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 14/07/2010 03:38 PM
>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>

>> I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
>> there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.
>>
>> However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
>> think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
>> example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
>> client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>>> Date:
>>> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:

> I just realised that in futon you can open up the design doc haha my bad!
>
> ok so in the design doc is a field called lists that has a criteria filter
> inside that there are various things including todate and fromdate! so
> this is the source of the 'custom' parameters yes? so what is lists?? is
> there a wiki on it?

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/design-documents/lists

Another example of lists in action is:

http://couchapp.org/couchapp/_design/couchapp.org/_list/index/recent-posts?descending=true&limit=10

And the code for that list:

http://github.com/jchris/sofa/blob/master/lists/index.js

Some tools that help:

http://books.couchdb.org/relax/example-app/design-documents

Chris

> Cheers
>

> From:
> J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 04:28 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:
>
>> ok so I have found out that they are getting past as options from java
>> using jcouchDB, am I on the right track?
>>

> you are getting there. I'd suggest goofing around in Futon before you
> start hacking from Java.
>
> if you have a smaller database (1000 docs or less) it can be pretty fast
> to play with temp_views.
>
> http://localhost:5984/_utils/index.html
>
> Create a database, then select View: Temp View from the menu on the
> database page.
>
> Then you can enter your javascript views directly.
>
> Once you have it working, you can see how it runs queries using firebug
> (or the couch log), and copy the urls to your browser directly to play
> with parameters.
>
> Chris
>

>> From:
>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 14/07/2010 03:38 PM
>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>

>> I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
>> there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.
>>
>> However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
>> think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
>> example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
>> client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>>> Date:
>>> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM
>>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>>

>>> The full set of view querying options are documented here;
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> B.

>>> am
>>> API

>> format

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by St...@nextgen.net.

From:
J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>
To:
user@couchdb.apache.org
Date:

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 13, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Steven.Prentice@nextgen.net wrote:

> ok so I have found out that they are getting past as options from java
> using jcouchDB, am I on the right track?

you are getting there. I'd suggest goofing around in Futon before you start hacking from Java.

if you have a smaller database (1000 docs or less) it can be pretty fast to play with temp_views.

http://localhost:5984/_utils/index.html

Create a database, then select View: Temp View from the menu on the database page.

Then you can enter your javascript views directly.

Once you have it working, you can see how it runs queries using firebug (or the couch log), and copy the urls to your browser directly to play with parameters.

Chris

> From:
> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 03:38 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
> there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.
>
> However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
> think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
> example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
> client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.
>
> B.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>>

>> From:
>> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM
>> Re: Custom view parameters???
>>

>> The full set of view querying options are documented here;
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options
>>
>> HTH,
>> B.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>>> HI I am working on a couchDB database that has a view called
>>> search_with_criteria (pretty self explanatory) anyway this has
>>> functionality to add view parameters such as ?fromDate and ?toDate...I
>> am
>>> just trying to work out thow this all works...are these standard view
>> API
>>> parameters? or are you able to make your own 'custom parameters' in
>>> couchDB? if so Where would you store these??
>>>
>>> oh also I should mention that the key of this view is a date with
> format
>>> YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss
>>>
>>> Cheers

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by St...@nextgen.net.

From:
Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
To:
user@couchdb.apache.org
Date:

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
I believe the wiki page lists all the standard view parameters and
there are no others, and no facility to add custom ones.

However, you can fake some simple things using the _rewrite code. I
think it's powerful enough to map your 'fromDate=' to 'startkey=', for
example. More complicated transformations would, I think, need
client-side Javascript or a server-side patch.

B.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
> Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?
>

> From:
> Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
> To:
> user@couchdb.apache.org
> Date:
> 14/07/2010 03:26 PM
> Re: Custom view parameters???
>

> The full set of view querying options are documented here;
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options
>
> HTH,
> B.
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM,  <St...@nextgen.net> wrote:
>> HI I am working on a couchDB database that has a view called
>> search_with_criteria (pretty self explanatory) anyway this has
>> functionality to add view parameters such as ?fromDate and ?toDate...I
> am
>> just trying to work out thow this all works...are these standard view
> API
>> parameters? or are you able to make your own 'custom parameters' in
>> couchDB? if so Where would you store these??
>>
>> oh also I should mention that the key of this view is a date with format
>> YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss
>>
>> Cheers

Re: Custom view parameters???

Posted by St...@nextgen.net.
Yes, I realise this. perhaps you would like to re-read my question?

From:
Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>
To:
user@couchdb.apache.org