Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Pietro Paolini <pi...@cognitivecredit.com> on 2019/07/25 16:49:42 UTC

PDFDebugger

Hello,

I've started to use the library fairly recently therefore I may have
missed a few bits in the documentation, sorry if that's the case.

I'd like to know if it is possible to use the PDFDebugger to "jump" to
the PDF's source when clicking on a relevant portion of the PDF.

For instance when I am looking at a page I'd like to click on a text
element and jump to the relevant BT..ET or Tj portion.

Is that something that PDFDebugger provide in its current state ?

Thanks,
Pietro.

Re: PDFDebugger

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

No, although it sounds like an interesting feature. But it would be very
difficult. A combination of text extraction and remembering content
stream number and position.

What I do: first I try a direct search (sometimes it works). If not,
then I remember the position (use the mouse cursor) of what I am
searching, in the hope that a similar number is in the content stream.

If that doesn't work, then it gets nasty. With WriteDecodedDoc I create
an uncompressed document. I then delete parts of the content stream and
display to see whether it appears or not. Of course this is ugly, most
of the times it works due to repair while parsing.

So this can take a few minutes up to several hours.

Tilman