Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 04:40:30 UTC

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

My proposed changes to unblock the release are now complete [1]. They
are done however on the master, which leaves us with one of the
following options (if I am not missing something)

1. Backport to a 0.7.0-Mxxx branch
2. Abandon 0.7.0-Mxxx and release at 0.8.0

While either work, I somewhat prefer moving on with #2 as the simplest
solution.

Another thought is that migrating packages from brooklyn.* to
org.apache.brooklyn.* will be necessary at some point. I suspect best
would be to do it now before a release.

Thoughts?
Hadrian

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/737

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Thank you for your comments.

For #1, I don't think it's realistic to expect the PR queue to get empty.

I have started a branch with a stream of commits that performs rename on each
project in the reverse order of the maven reactor build (i.e. starting with
the "leafs"). These commits can be applied selectively, depending on how hot
is the repository in that area.

For #3 I agree with Hadrian. Using class names within YAML has the advantages
of being convenient and straightforward, since the resolution is actually
performed by the JVM classloader. However, it does bring the limitations of
the classloader in brooklyn's API, and it is the publication of those class
names in the API that makes renaming them a problem.

For the specific purpose of package renaming I would opt for maintaining a
compatibility layer, having a new project of brooklyn.* classes annotate an
indirection towards the renamed org.apache.brooklyn.* classes. When resolving
this indirection we could issue a deprecation warning in the logs until we
decide to move to a new system (which should be a larger discussion).

How does this sound to you?

Ciprian

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aled,

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thanks for that.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Thanks Hadrian, but no need, I've backported it to the release branch.
Consider this to be the code review before I merge the PR :-) (All seems to
be working well so far, BTW.)

Richard.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Re: No 0.7.0-rc1 release today :(

Posted by Svetoslav Neykov <sv...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
> [...]

>> configurations that wouldn't apply for a user's project.
>>
>> The only 2 solutions I can think of are to:
>> a. Get rid of the downstream parent and move all the necessary
>> incantations in the quickstart archetype.
>> b. Transform the downstream-parent (and maybe come up with a better name
>> for it) into a <scope>import</scope> pom [1].
>>
>> I think this is a blocker for the release.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Hadrian
>>
>> [1]
>> https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Importing_Dependencies
>>

>> On 06/27/2015 04:05 AM, Andrea Turli wrote:
>>> Thanks Hadrian,
>>>
>>> I've also found this one while googling for another project [1], so
>>> either
>>> Apache parent or nothing should fix the issue.

message after it was sent.