Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/05 18:29:37 UTC

Source Code being used by LibreOffice

In one of the threads, there was a discussion regarding source code of AOO
being used by LibreOffice. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If this happens this shall be considered as a credit by AOO community. We
shall feel happy to share our code in full or in part. What we can expect
in return is mention of contribution of code by AOO community.

Copying is one of the best form of complementing.

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Re: Source Code being used by LibreOffice

Posted by Antoine Chevrier <1a...@gmail.com>.
Andrea Pescetti might wrote:
>OpenOffice is not the group that forked. It continued the OpenOffice
experience. And continued in a way that makes all code and contributions
available to all derived products. So the OpenOffice strategy is hardly
objectionable here, and it is rather clear that OpenOffice would welcome
cooperation and is not putting any barriers to it.

Agreed. Thanck you for this precision.
And ... all the same, even so, Aoo Strategy maybe should take in account
the potential maybe-to-be-checked-if-relevant fact that common end users
and some information system rules decision makers, might feel in trouble to
get 2 similar projects in front of their eyes ... and if so, then, bridge
question between Aoo and Liboo, might get a high strategy interest for both
Aoo or Liboo projects, whatever who is the official recipient of historical
OpenOffice or who is the most free or most efficient or nicest or most
sympathetic or mots reliable or any other subjective or rational reasons.
For that reason *if relevant again* , this discussion topic should maybe
not considered as "no need for further discussion on this issue ...".
One again, a relevant Game Theory Matrix, could help to define if "yes" or
"no", this topic might have an interest.
But, maybe I'm fully wrong. If so, forget what I wrote.
Freely,
Antoine

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Valid and good point! We should see from the end user point of view. The
trouble to choose from AOO and LO may keep the user away from both

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Antoine Chevrier <1a...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Samer Mansour wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2013 10:35 AM, "Kadal Amutham" wrote:
>> Why both AOO and LO, which are open source, are required in this world? Can
>> just one serve the purpose?

Everybody used to be more or less happy with OpenOffice until late 2010.
A group decided to fork OpenOffice (which is perfectly allowed by the
license) back then and to start a separate product. I could maybe
understand that there is a justification for having two products, but
I've always believed that this does not imply having two communities.

> But if its causing volunteers pain then I would express that to the PMC/
> mailing list.  They don't know if you don't speak up.

The PMC already knows. Some PMC members already collaborate (as
individuals) to both projects. What I would like to see happening, and
hasn't so far, is some form of official cooperation. For license
reasons, the OpenOffice code can freely be reused (and it does get
reused), so working on OpenOffice (code, QA, translations) automatically
benefits all derived programs.

But honestly I don't think there is a need for further discussion of
this issue, besides what Louis wrote: the OpenOffice project should be

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
This has been brought up before.

Organizations back each project with possibly different interest or man
hours.

Its really up to each organization to come together if their interests are
in line with one another's.

Also i don't know if they have been approached to consider coming back
together since Oracle donated code base to Apache. If its in our interest I
would expect the PMC to formally approach LO. Its not our call as
committers.  Because nothing stops us from committing to both.

But if its causing volunteers pain then I would express that to the PMC/
mailing list.  They don't know if you don't speak up.

Samer

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> [...]

>> compeers and for far less--and under far, far worse circumstances. (The
>> film, Painted Faces, ostensibly about Samo Hung's and Chan's early
>> training, I recall, could also be read as about the film industry in HK.
>> But it's been years since I studied this, so my data are doubtless rusty.)
>>
>> I don't think that we actually have an answer to the problematic that's
>> been pointed out except the one I suggested: simply inform the world of
>> what is actually going on. Right now, the world, which is to say that
>> segment fed by the tech writers and who read self-serving blogs, believe
>> that LO is the acme of originality and community and that AOO is the spawn
>> of something else.
>>
>> License allows for many things; that's its point. But being honest about
>> one's doings and acknowledging debt is also very important in the

>>> 919444360480

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
I do translation for LO and AOO as well. In LO, there is no mailing list
like this. I contact a single person to do my translations.

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-06-06, at 09:06 , Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Obviously, I would appreciate very much to see better relationship and collaboration in place; it is true that OpenOffice cannot do the converse and reuse code from projects that adopt more restrictive licenses, but there are fields, like QA, where everybody would benefit from official cooperation.

What would you propose to encourage that?

Me? I'd ask some of the tech journalists to raise it as an issue, keeping in mind that there'd be the usual mis- and mal-understandings.

Also, other occasions, such as, when feasible and reasonable, joint tracks at agreeable events, perhaps.

louis

Re: Source Code being used by LibreOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Kadal Amutham wrote:
> Thanks Andrea for the response. In general how our community feels about
> this process?

The OpenOffice project mission is to provide an excellent free and open
source office suite to the world, that users can use for personal
productivity tasks and developers can use to build upon. If the Apache
OpenOffice code is reused in other projects, this is entirely part of
the mission, so it's very good to see it reused.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.