Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Asai <as...@globalchangemusic.org> on 2015/04/07 05:08:44 UTC

Mail Filter Recommendations

Greetings,

We've been using Amavis for a number of years, but it seems to not be
doing what we need it to be doing regarding spam filtering.  e.g. I
can't seem to get it to learn bayes data on a per user basis.  We have
our spam filters turned up so high ( kill level 3 ) for some users it
just seems like we're doing something wrong.  I have deleted the Bayes
data before and let it rebuild, but it doesn't seem to make sense that
we've got all this crazy spam,  some of which gets caught and some
doesn't even though it's the exact same spam (or nearly the same).  Is
Amavis to blame here?  Does it get in the way of Spamassassin running as
it should, or is it more just configuration problems on our part?

Thanks.

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Larry Rosenman <le...@lerctr.org>.
On 2015-04-07 17:35, Alex Regan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I think the reason it didn't match on anything useful for the OP is
> because he doesn't have the latest RegisterBoundaries.pm.
>
> If he had the latest, it would have at least matched the MSGID and
> MALFORMED rules.
>
> Select the download link here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm?view=log
>
> I believe this works with at least 3.4.0 or is it only 3.4.1?

I'm using it successfully with 3.4.0.  I believe that this is being
heavily modified for 3.4.1 to be in
a .cf file.

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 108 Turvey Cove, Hutto, TX 78634-5688

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 04/09/2015 12:14 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> if you are trying to retrofit registrarboundaries.pm onto older SA
> releases, you'll need to follow the instructions on the older PM file
> from your install or a previous SVN commit.
>
> In 3.4.1, registrarboundaries will be updatable via a cf file delivered
> by sa-update so we no longer need to maintain that list in the PM.

please note the difference:

SA 3.3.x uses = RegistrarBoundaries
SA 3.4.0 uses = RegistrarBoundaries

SA 3.4.1 uses =  RegistryBoundaries

new installs SA will use RegistryBoundaries  and the tld .cf file

Updated setups will probably have both (RegistryBoundaries & older
RegistrarBoundaries) but rules and standard SA plugins will use
RegistryBoundaries

For backward compatiblity I'll try to mantain RegistrarBoundaries for
some time (SA 3.3.x and possible custom plugins) in case anybody still
needs it.

After aprox 6 months, RegistrarBoundaries will become unmantained. IF
someone still needs it, instructions to update have always been included
in the module.

RegistrarBoundaries cannot be updated via sa-update

RegistryBoundaries uses 20_aux_tlds.cf for tld lists which will be
updated via sa-update.

Axb

RE: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>.
I installed 3.4.0 from source some time back.  IIRC, I just downloaded and did the stock configure, make, make install routine.
Can I just overwrite the existing version at (in my system at least)
"/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm"" dating from Feb 6, 2014?

Does sa-compile get involved or is that just for rules?

Thanks...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.

Posted by Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>.

The latest shows this:
DEPRECATED AND REPLACED WITH Mail::SpamAssassin::RegistryBoundaries !!

DO NOT USE. This is left as fallback for third party plugins.

Is that just because it's being revamped in 3.4.2?

How does one go about installing it?

...Kevin

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:35:14 -0400
Alex Regan wrote:

> I think the reason it didn't match on anything useful for the OP is
> because he doesn't have the latest RegisterBoundaries.pm.
>
> If he had the latest, it would have at least matched the MSGID and
> MALFORMED rules.

These two rules don't appear to rely on RegisterBoundaries.pm, although
they do rely on 3.4.0+.

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Alex Regan <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
On 4/7/2015 3:07 PM, Asai wrote:
> Thanks, Bowie and Noel,
>
> Here's a couple of example spams that are the kind which are slipping
> through constantly.  Some of the them get caught, others do not.
>
> http://pastebin.com/UH5BA6zs
> http://pastebin.com/esEz1a4J

Neither of those is matching on much of anything useful.  I ran them
through my systems and they both hit on quite a few network tests
(blacklists, DCC, etc), but not much else.  The network tests may or may
not have hit when you first received the message.  Are you running with
the network tests active?  Are you using DCC and Razor?

The second message hit on the KAM_MEDICARE rule from KAM.cf.  You may
want to add that that rule set to your SA config if you are not using it
already.

http://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/KAM.cf

Also, make sure you are running the latest SA (3.4.0) and that you are
running sa-update on a regular basis to keep the rules updated.

--
Bowie

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Noel <no...@gmail.com>.
On 4/7/2015 2:07 PM, Asai wrote:
> Thanks, Bowie and Noel,
>
> Here's a couple of example spams that are the kind which are
> slipping through constantly.  Some of the them get caught, others
> do not.
>
> http://pastebin.com/UH5BA6zs
> http://pastebin.com/esEz1a4J

Do you have a reasonably current version of SpamAssassin installed?
Updated the ruleset recently?

> Also, could you offer some guidance on how to set up scanning /per
> user/ for Bayes data with Amavis running at the same time?

Regardless of whether you use a site-wide or per-user bayes, it must
be trained.  A well trained site-wide bayes is usually quite
effective if your users (mostly) agree on what is and isn't spam.

If per-user bayes is a requirement, something other than amavisd-new
may be more appropriate, but you'll lose the features and
efficiencies of amavisd-new.  You get to decide that for yourself.

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Asai <as...@globalchangemusic.org>.
Thanks, Bowie and Noel,

Here's a couple of example spams that are the kind which are slipping
through constantly.  Some of the them get caught, others do not.

http://pastebin.com/UH5BA6zs
http://pastebin.com/esEz1a4J

Also, could you offer some guidance on how to set up scanning /per user/
for Bayes data with Amavis running at the same time?

Thanks,
Asai

--
--asai

Re: Mail Filter Recommendations

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by Noel <no...@gmail.com>.
On 4/6/2015 10:08 PM, Asai wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We've been using Amavis for a number of years, but it seems to not
> be doing what we need it to be doing regarding spam filtering.
> e.g. I can't seem to get it to learn bayes data on a per user
> basis.  We have our spam filters turned up so high ( kill level 3
> ) for some users it just seems like we're doing something wrong.
> I have deleted the Bayes data before and let it rebuild, but it
> doesn't seem to make sense that we've got all this crazy spam,
> some of which gets caught and some doesn't even though it's the
> exact same spam (or nearly the same).  Is Amavis to blame here?
> Does it get in the way of Spamassassin running as it should, or is
> it more just configuration problems on our part?
>
> Thanks.

Amavis is normally configured for site-wide bayes as the "vscan" or
"amavis" user, not per-user.
If you're training bayes per-user, but SA is running with a
site-wide bayes, you'll get poor results.

This is operator error, not the fault of Amavis or SpamAssassin.
You must train the proper bayes database.

  -- Noel Jones