Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Panu H�llfors <pa...@viloke.fi> on 2000/04/13 15:39:54 UTC

general/5986: Large POST request often get to the CGI script wery slowly

>Number:         5986
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Large POST request often get to the CGI script wery slowly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Apr 13 06:40:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     panu.hallfors@viloke.fi
>Release:        1.3.12
This has occured at least on NT4.0 and NT3.51 and Apache Win32 versions 1.3.6,
1.3.9 and 1.3.12. Tested on several different servers.

When using large POST requests Apache often get VERY slow in forwarding
the request to a cgi program. In fact it may do it for small requests, too
but it's hard to say about very small POSTs. On files > 1Mb however
the slowdown is very distressing.
We use large requests to upload files and depending on implementation
in question (we've tried with several programs) Apache may process
a few files normally after reboot (of the whole computer) but after
that it goes slow (other actions still seem rapid as usual).

For example, uploading a 4 Mb file will at first try take only
1,5 seconds and then as you try again it takes 40 seconds!
As we have debugged the situation it seems that the data
is coming with constant rate, so the 40 seconds include no
delays but the data keeps coming all the time - but very
slowly.
>How-To-Repeat:
Make serveral POSTs of different sizes to a Win32 Apache.
If you can't repeat it feel free to contact us and we'll se if
we can help.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]