Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/16 22:18:15 UTC

Tagged Menu Entries

Hello,

I have stumbled upon this rather old initiative called a 'built' version
of OpenOffice 1.1.3 (Arusha)
<http://www.kilinux.udsm.ac.tz/kiblog/kiblog_sw/archives/permalinks/2004-11-11T10_11_03.html>
for tagging menu entries and showing references to PO files.

Is anything like that available for the current version of Open Office?
Or perhaps something like that in the works?

With best wishes,

Aivaras

Re: Tagged Menu Entries

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Wow.
On 13-03-16, at 17:18 , Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have stumbled upon this rather old initiative called a 'built' version of OpenOffice 1.1.3 (Arusha) <http://www.kilinux.udsm.ac.tz/kiblog/kiblog_sw/archives/permalinks/2004-11-11T10_11_03.html> for tagging menu entries and showing references to PO files.
>
> Is anything like that available for the current version of Open Office? Or perhaps something like that in the works?

Hm….
 Looking at the link, Arusha, a section in TZ and also a people who speak maasai but who use Kiswahili makes me think you might be referring to the kiswahili version of OpenOffice.org.

As much as I could, I worked with the team making what turned out to be Jambo OpenOffice. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambo_OpenOffice>.

Unfortunately, as the Wikipedia entry indicates…...

It'd be nice if the Kiswahili version of AOO were resumed. The primary driver of it left the project and moved back to Sweden, and then sort of became incommunicado, though I tried contacting him late last year, as I wanted this particular effort to resume, too. I used to know some of the principals behind it, but that was back in 2004, ages ago. And as was more often the case then, projects more quickly withered on the vine than bore fruit.

That is not to say that there wouldn't be a lot of interest in this resuming; of that, I have no doubt. Macroeconomic issues, such as the recent elections in Kenya, a well as recent (>2 years) accelerations in ICT would likely drive attention to such an effort.

What sort of resources could you marshal? At a guess I can think that there would be quite a few here who would find such a localization effort of interest.

> With best wishes,
>
> Aivaras

best
louis

Re: Tagged Menu Entries

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hello

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:18:15PM +0200, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have stumbled upon this rather old initiative called a 'built'
> version of OpenOffice 1.1.3 (Arusha) <http://www.kilinux.udsm.ac.tz/kiblog/kiblog_sw/archives/permalinks/2004-11-11T10_11_03.html>
> for tagging menu entries and showing references to PO files.

This looks like an enhanced (or old) kid build.

> Is anything like that available for the current version of Open
> Office? Or perhaps something like that in the works?

This thread discusses the kid/help id thing. You can use the help ID in
the current version you are using to locate a PO file.

This does not solve the problem of locating in the user interface the
string you are currently translating.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile