Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Chris Haddad <ha...@cobia.net> on 2002/01/08 15:20:58 UTC

Repost: suggested strategies to sort

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Haddad [mailto:haddadc@cobia.net]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 11:09 AM
To: xindice-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: sorting ?

Users –

Does xindice provide an embedded facility to sort a RecordSet?

For example, a command analogous to the SQL ORDER BY.

/Chris

----------
Chris Haddad
Cobia Communications  - XML and Web Service Solutions
678 431 1656
mailto:chris@cobia.net

Re: Repost: suggested strategies to sort

Posted by Joel Rosi-Schwartz <jo...@btconnect.com>.
Just a thought; I think that dom4J has this functionality already.  When you
do a select nodes it has an alternative signature that takes a second XPath
that is used as the sorting criteria on the list that is returned and a
third signature that takes an additional boolean to trim the list to unique
entries. Seems that there should be some way to capitalize on this rather
than completely reinventing the wheel.

Joel

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Kimbro Staken wrote:
>
>> BTW, we could really use volunteers to work on an XQuery impl.
>

> FWIW, I'm here to help. But I'm not *that* sure that an XQuery
> implementation should belong to XIndice: wouldn't it be better if such an
> implementation was done with, say, the Xalan team? I know they are deep
> into XSLT, but IIRC their data model is probably going to be the one that
> XIndice 2.0 will use, so I'd say that sharing efforts with them would be
> a Good Thing.
>
> Am I wrong?

No you're right, but I think we're going to need to be the catalyst for it.
  We need XQuery far more then they do. We can worry about where the
project lives once there is actually some code to worry about.

> -- Gianugo

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/

Re: Repost: suggested strategies to sort

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at 12:19 PM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> FWIW, I'm here to help. But I'm not *that* sure that an XQuery
> implementation should belong to XIndice: wouldn't it be better if such
> an implementation was done with, say, the Xalan team? I know they are
> deep into XSLT, but IIRC their data model is probably going to be the
> one that XIndice 2.0 will use, so I'd say that sharing efforts with
> them would be a Good Thing.

I've already spoken to Scott Boag about a shared XQuery implementation.
They've got a little bit of waiting to do before they can move ahead
with it though.

> Am I wrong?

Not at all.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Developer - Apache Xindice (Native XML Database)

Re: Repost: suggested strategies to sort

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
XPath has no direct facilities for sorting, so you need a higher level
query language like XQuery to do that. For now you could pass the query
result to an XSL-T stylesheet and use that to sort the nodes.