Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com> on 2000/12/13 14:46:41 UTC

Separation of presentation and application

Is there an effective way to separate the Apache web presentation from
the Tomcat servlet engine either on separate machines in the same
network layer, or on separate machines both on different network layers?

Thanks.

Re: Separation of presentation and application

Posted by Venkat <ve...@yahoo.com>.
Can anyone help me to resolve this....

When i created more contexts in server.xml and added them to uriworkers.properties, but when i use beans, i'm not able to access

to be clear:

i have created a contex  by name tests
path d:/tests
subfolders d:/tests/web-inf/classes
i place my bean classes in web-inf/classes and refer them in my tests/*.jsp files, but tomcat is not reading them

if i place the beans in %tomcat_home%/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes
, it works

how do i tell tomcat to look at my /tests/web-inf/classes/*.class files

Thank you in advance

P.S: I have manullay set classpath pointing to the bean classes and restarted tomcat - but no avail

RE: Separation of presentation and application

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@solaraccess.com>.
>> but you can certainly have apacha and tomcat running
>> 1) on different process on the same box
>> 2) on different boxes

>> In both case, they can talk to each other using:
>> 1) mod_jk
>> 2) includes/forwards

> Is there documentation written on this topic that someone
> could point me to?

Yes, the Tomcat user's guide and the mod_jk section found from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/index.html

Had you thought to check out the docs first?

Dave

Re: Separation of presentation and application

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.
> I don't understant what you mean by 'network layer' here

But you answered my question perfectly :)

Posted by Cedric Berger <ce...@wireless-networks.com>.
I don't understant what you mean by 'network layer' here,
but you can certainly have apacha and tomcat running
 1) on different process on the same box
 2) on different boxes
In both case, they can talk to each other using:
 1) mod_jk
 2) includes/forwards
Cedric