Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/11 15:19:48 UTC

Java SDO M2 relesae candidate 3 available

I have put a new release candidate for SDO Java up at
http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/RC3/

This tries to take into account the comments that the sample distribution
does not need to be stand alone, and that
javadoc should be shipped with the binary and sample distributions.

I have been fighting with the maven build environment to produce a good set
of javadoc as part of the build, from a user's
perspective,  but that's not at all easy given the structure of our projects
and the nature of the maven javadoc plugin,
so currently the binary distribution carries  javadoc for  the sdo api and
all of the tuscany implementation.  The README file
draws the attention of  an SDO  user to relevant classes in the  tuscany
implementation javadoc.

Regards, Kelvin.

Re: Java SDO M2 relesae candidate 3 available

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Simon,
  I have made these changes, thanks.

I am unsure of one thing regarding the difference between CHANGES and
RELEASE_DOCUMENTATION.  These files were provided by Yang as a JIRA
attachment in consultation with Frank,  and I had been meaning to check the
difference in purpose of the two files.  I can't see any apache
documentation to say that we need both, so as Yang and Frank are currently
tucked up in bed I imagine, I am making the assumption that CHANGES.txt is a
running log that is used in the production of any given release.  If this is
wrong then I'll need to fix that,  but currently my fix for your catch is to
put a note at the top of CHANGES.txt to explain its purpose and direct the
user of a new release to look at the RELEASE_NOTES.txt file.

Regards , Kelvin.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Re: Error running sample in Java SDO M2 RC3

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Oops,  not sure how that crept through.  I started making a test case that
ran all the samples, to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen,  but it
wasn't trivial because the samples are so interactive.  It would be good to
make a non-interactive option on them, so that we can run them as the test
suite of the samples project, then we wouldn't miss this kind of thing.  For
now I will document that the release process should include running the
samples as well as the tests,  which I ususaly do,  but omited to do for
RC3.

Apologies, Kelvin.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I'm getting a NullPointerException from the UsingXPath sample in SDO M2 RC3.
Here's the output from the sample with some debug code that I added to
print the exception and stack trace:

***************************************
SDO Sample UsingXPath
***************************************
Demonstrats accessing a created DataObject's properties using xPath.
***************************************
DataObject created
Accessing individual item from list using xpath expressionitems/item[1]
     DataObject toString : org.apache.tuscany.sdo.impl.DynamicDataObjectImpl@33f0de
         (eClass: org.apache.tuscany.sdo.impl.ClassImpl@68c26c (name: item) (instanceClassName: null)
         (abstract: false, interface: false))
     Item name:Lawnmower
     Part num: 872-AA
Accessing individual item from list using xpath expressionitems/item[productName=Baby Monitor]
     Sorry there was an error executing expression items/item[productName=Baby Monitor]
java.lang.NullPointerException
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.DataObjectUtil$Accessor.setFeatureName(DataObjectUtil.java:2054)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.DataObjectUtil$Accessor.process(DataObjectUtil.java:2161)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.DataObjectUtil$Accessor.init(DataObjectUtil.java:1940)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.DataObjectUtil$Accessor.create(DataObjectUtil.java:1860)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.DataObjectUtil.get(DataObjectUtil.java:744)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.impl.DataObjectImpl.get(DataObjectImpl.java:216)
         at org.apache.tuscany.sdo.impl.DataObjectImpl.getDataObject(DataObjectImpl.java:326)