Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/19 00:28:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Why OpenMeetings needs a Style Guide

Hi,

I would like to establish a Style Guide for OpenMeetings.

*Why is it important to have a Style Guide*
A Style guide helps to make consistent design decisions. A reference to
agree on before doing try-and-error discussions that can be costly and
frustrating. In the end it may not really matter if the colour of the alert
modal is red or orange. And it may not matter if the OK and Cancel button
is left and right. Or the opposite.

But what matters is that once you decide for one of those patterns you do
it consistently! Not come up with alternating patterns or have various
different versions of a UI/UX of similar functionality.

Further material and examples on what a typical Style Guide (and
StoryBooks) would contain and solve:

   - https://www.toptal.com/designers/ui/ui-styleguide-better-ux
   - http://styleguides.io/examples.html

*So I made a start here:*
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/OpenMeetings+UI+and+UX+Style+Guide

*And I started with 2 topics:*

   - *Hiding vs Disabling of elements*:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/OpenMeetings+UI+and+UX+Style+Guide#OpenMeetingsUIandUXStyleGuide-HidingvsDisablingelements
   - *Primary vs Secondary call to actions buttons: *
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/OpenMeetings+UI+and+UX+Style+Guide#OpenMeetingsUIandUXStyleGuide-PrimaryvsSecondarycalltoactionsbuttons
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/OpenMeetings+UI+and+UX+Style+Guide#OpenMeetingsUIandUXStyleGuide-PrimaryvsSecondarycalltoactionsbuttons>

*Needs your Support*
If you could please add some feedback on those topics.
And also if you could help adding more topics where you feel like there is
some inconsistency that would be worth agreeing on.

I appreciate this could be a long process and seems tedious to discuss this
in such detail. But it will be much faster to discuss this in theory and
agree (or disagree) on a style guide than refactor things later.
As well as it will help to discover inconsistencies that make the
application hard to use.

Thanks,
Seb
--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSS] Why OpenMeetings needs a Style Guide

Posted by Denis Noctor <de...@gmail.com>.
I couldn’t agree more with Maxim. I think there is more emphasis required on functionality rather than cosmetics at this stage. I’ve got a list as long as my arm at this stage and consciously decided not to bring them into conversation for now, so as not to distract everyone from the main objective as to having such a platform up and running. If it meets the basic requirements, of which I have not tested everything (for example recording and so on... which my students would feel a little uncomfortable about anyway)... but yes, I agree there are tweaks and issues that can be addressed on a user by user basis... some of which are great.... but maybe we can address this in a different forum... “Tweaks and Issues” ... or even “themes issues” etc... maybe... as an example. Either way... as limited as my experience is... I’ve grown an affiliation to this group... and the resources are huge. Google or use of  the search query in the forums will offer some wonderful guidance and I will personally do my best to help with certain queries... we all know that Maxim answers as many queries as possible.... but how many of you know how many Maxims are out there? Hope this makes sense, I don’t intend to sound arrogant... but if you are looking for a national health service equivalent... Maxim is... and has been... your frontline. Goodnight.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
@Ed I think this will be an ongoing effort. Shouldn't block releasing. But
maybe we agree on sth. And then get some part done in each release.

For example: Right now "Request right ***" icons/menu items are hidden in
case user already have particular right
=> Request permission buttons are always special. Cause you see them if you
do _not_ have permissions. So those hidden/visible are inverted. You will
NOT see the buttons if you HAVE the permissions.

p.s. I found no inline comments in confluence :(((
=> You should be able to select text and hover should present comment
bubble:
[image: image.png]

Cheers!
Seb

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
@Denis Noctor: I think you are right that we don't want to stop Maxim. I'm
also not proposing to create Jiras for Maxim to fix. I propose to create
Jiras to fix them myself.
And already did submit a few PRs based on some of my suggestions:
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/pull/63#issue-405378990
and
https://github.com/apache/openmeetings/pull/59/files/89a006c507371c658bf5cc938a4bdef69b609513#r407924797
=> But the consensus based on discussing with Maxim+Denis was that we
should discuss those on the mailing list first. Because some of the UI
elements have been changed back n forth even since I can remember 5+ years
ago. And he is prob right that getting more feedback is better then less.
=> So I'm asking for more feedback on proposals - So we can agree on UI/UX
changes - I can do the code fixes - on top of what Maxim does. And also the
PR doesn't need 100 comments cause we agree on the design before doing the
change.

@Peter yeah some mobile design would be nice. I have not had time to mock
anything up yet

Cheers
Seb

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastian,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [DISCUSS] Why OpenMeetings needs a Style Guide

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [DISCUSS] Why OpenMeetings needs a Style Guide

Posted by in...@bureau-de-poste.net.