Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2016/08/06 14:08:27 UTC

Maven Core Command Line

Hi,

I have a question concerning the .mvn/maven.config file..and the command
line options. Currently the order is that the .mvn/maven.config file is
analyzed first and afterwards the options from commandline so I thought
I could do something like this:

.mvn/maven.config:

-Drevision=1.3.0-SNAPSHOT

Just calling mvn package ...works...

But now I want to do:

mvn -Drevision=2.0 package

But this does not work, cause currently the analyzing of the command
line options and the configuration file works that way that the parts
from configuration file are handled with priority...

This means in consequence that I can't overwrite a definition like thiis
via command line this which is in .mvn/maven.config...

So the question is:

What do you think if this would be changed so I can define a default
value for a property via -Drevision=3.0-SNAPSHOT which can simply be
overwriten via command line. This would make Maven much more
flexible...in particular for handling CD support with revision, sha1,
changelist...?

This will not change things like -T .. cause the CLI analyzer only
checks for existence of options and handles the first one and not the
last one...But for properties this would be very helpful...

The code change is very simple and small:

-            args.addAll( 0, Arrays.asList( cliRequest.args ) );
+            args.addAll( Arrays.asList( cliRequest.args ) );

which is need to be done in MavenCli.java...

So the question is WDYT ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Core Command Line

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
+1

Sorry I missed this in my original implementation. I should have added a
test too.

Igor

Re: Maven Core Command Line

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.