Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ld...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/02/24 17:13:56 UTC

[Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs

I noticed for the 3.4 release that the documentation for each of the
plugins redirects to the github repository for each plugin and a document
under doc/index.md

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.4.0/cordova_plugins_pluginapis.md.html#Plugin%20APIs

If we want to have translations for each of the plugins then we're going
to need to rethink this a little.  Here are two options:

1. similar to the cordova-docs dir, we could have a language directory as
the parent.
ex. doc/en/index.md
and while we're at it we probably need the version as well
ex. doc/en/3.4.0/index.md

If we do this then at least we can have the documentation for each
language.  But that doesn't solve the problem of the user being always
redirected to the english version of the documentation and not their
specific language.

2. Is it hard to do a build of the index.md for each plugin similar to how
we build the cordova-doc md files into html files?  If it were seamless
and part of the other documentation it would make my life
*coughTranslationcough* so much easier.  Plus it won't be as confusing on
end users having to choose their language more than one time.

It'd be nice to get some input from everyone before I start writing a
complicated automated script for the plugin translations.

Lisa

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |
ldeluca@us.ibm.com | lisaseacat.com | |

Re: [Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs

Posted by Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ld...@us.ibm.com>.
Translation Update:

1. I have updated the automated scripts for crowdin to pull in the
documentation for cordova-docs and the 17 plugin repository .md files.
There are currently 72 files available for translation in our tooling. It
is available as always, here: https://crowdin.net/project/cordova.  For
information on the nitty-gritty checkout the wiki page:
https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CordovaTranslations
2. We kinda discussed the way the documentation is currently referencing
the english version of the documentation within github.  We'll need to
come up with a better way of building the plugin documentation into the
current html pages. I opened a JIRA issue:
3. Another issue that was brought to my attention by Carlos (thanks
Carlos) is there is currently no clear way for users to know that
translations exist.  So I have opened a JIRA issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-6136.  It would be nice if to the
left of the drop down there was a message such as "Switch languages or
documentation version here:"

Please share with your social network a tweet to get people to help with
translations.

ex.

The @apachecordova documentation is now broken out for each plugin.  We
need YOUR help translating! @crowdin https://crowdin.net/project/cordova

Thanks,

From:   Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>
To:     "dev@cordova.apache.org" <de...@cordova.apache.org>
Date:   02/24/2014 12:47 PM
Subject:        Re: [Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs

I agree with Andrew's points in #1. We have to update the 3.4.0 docs
nonetheless, since the URLs do not point to a specific tagged version.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
I'm more supportive of Michal's thoughts, although I understand the
practicality of Andrew's approach.

Ideal world:

  - plugins.cordova.io renders all markdown files in docs/**/*.md
  - plugins.cordova.io allows switching the language (globally across the
site, like any normal website)

Algorithm for default npm page:

  1. If exists docs/index.md
  2. If exists docs/en/index.md
  3. If exists README.md

README.md vs index.md

  - README.md (or just README) is a top-level file for projects
  - Our documentation is a mark-up language that's render to HTML files
  - Our documentation should use the naming pattern of HTML files NOT
project distribution files
  - README.md should not appear in our docs directory

Reality

  - Anis will know best, but this approach might not be do-able in the
short-term.
    - Ideally, our next doc generator could be pluggable into
plugins.cordova.io to do the heavy lifting
    - The multiple pages could be displayed as separate HTML pages or
simply the GitHub gist-style for multiple files.
  - A short-term solution may be:
    1. If only one markdown file exists in docs/**/*.md, then render it as
the npm page
    2. If multiple markdown files exist in docs/**/*.md, then render a
table of contents as the npm page (from all the files)

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
on plugman publish:

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

From:   Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>
To:     "dev@cordova.apache.org" <de...@cordova.apache.org>
Cc:     Lisa Seacat DeLuca/San Francisco/IBM@IBMUS, Michael Brooks
<mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Date:   02/24/2014 03:08 PM

<cm...@gmail.com>

<ag...@chromium.org>

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
+Michael

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@google.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
I think Mike Brooks has extensive thinking wrt to this. Wait for his reply!

From:   Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>
To:     dev <de...@cordova.apache.org>
Date:   02/24/2014 01:41 PM

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 12:32 PM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:

> - We may also want to include README.md files in the translations.
> doc/fr/index.md
> doc/fr/README.md

What content do you forsee being in README.md other than a table-of-contents to the languages? Or in other words, would it be public-facing content that could be collapsed in to the rest of the plugin docs?

> - We don't need the version in the directory since we can use git tags to
> find old versions

That makes sense.

Re: [Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
My thoughts here: