Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Amiruddin Nagri <am...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/21 17:52:46 UTC

Sending JSON string in post body

Hi,

I need to send a JSON string in the body of a post request.

The json is going to be a string in the place of body. Since the interface
to send paramters in post request is name/value based, is there any way I
can send a string in the body of this request.

Regards,
Amiruddin Nagri,
Bangalore, 560008, KA
India

Y! IM : amir_nagri@yahoo.com
GTalk : amir.nagri@gmail.com

Re: Sending JSON string in post body

Posted by Florent Blondeau <fb...@pingwy.com>.
Hi,

I use that pretty extensively to test some web services that need to
receive post request with JSON strings:

    /**
     * Sends a JSON string to a specific URL and returns the plain
response of the server
     */
    public String sendToWebService(String url, String jsonString){

        DefaultHttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient();

        HttpPost post = new HttpPost(url);
        post.setHeader("Content-Type", "application/json");
        post.setEntity(new StringEntity(jsonString,"UTF-8"));

        ResponseHandler<String> responseHandler = new
BasicResponseHandler();
        String response = httpClient.execute(post,responseHandler);
        return response;
    }

Hope that helps

Florent