Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Michael Giroux <ml...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/17 00:11:18 UTC

appender configuration question

I would like to generate log entries to multiple appenders, and most
of the configuration for the appenders is common.  I'm reading the
docs, and it appears that log.info() will be sent to all appenders in
a chain, but this isn't exactly what I want to doe.

BTW, can anyone point me to a good online reference to log4j.properties?

Example follows:

log4j.logger.com.myco.sales=INFO, sales
log4j.logger.com.myco.inventory=INFO,inventory

log4j.appender.sales=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.inventory=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.sales.Append=false
log4j.appender.inventory.Append=false

log4j.appender.sales.File=logs/sales.log
log4j.appender.inventory.File=logs/inventory.log

In the example here, both appenders use RollingFileAppender and Append=false.

Is there some way to configure this so that I could define these
common attributes once, and override only the file name?

For example:

log4j.logger.com.myco=INFO, myco
log4j.logger.com.myco.sales=INFO, sales
log4j.logger.com.myco.inventory=INFO,inventory

log4j.appender.myco=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.myco.Append=false

log4j.appender.sales.File=logs/sales.log
log4j.appender.inventory.File=logs/inventory.log

Thanks,
Michael