Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com> on 2007/08/19 04:45:18 UTC

Deciding on a protocol, need help

I'm at a impasse with protocols. I don't know which to use. Does anyone
have a suggestion? I like something simple like JMS uses. I tried
serialization, but feel I'll run into limitations. I looked at things
like JSON, and XStream.

--
Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group

Edmund Burke

Re: Deciding on a protocol, need help

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Ya, I've written web applications for many years, using many different
frameworks. I looked at the XFire approach, but I find it a very heavy
stack. However I've never used it so I can't say for sure. Mina just
seemed like a very fast and flexible framework, being a network
framework for applications.

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.
Stanczak Group wrote:
> I need something I can use for everything from streaming
> audio/video/object, to RMI like requests.

Well, TCP/IP can deliver anything, but as Mike said,
 >> it's about  not reinventing the wheel.

In the past two decades, I've worked on many systems that "needed" RMI
or Corba or whatever other solution was out there. I don't believe that
any of them actually needed it. A simple request response protocol
worked in every case. And was far simpler to implement and test.

You can always have the first part of the response be a version tag and
an type description, followed  by the body. This is essentially what
HTTP delivers. The version tag lets you get smarter and change the
response approach, just change the version.

Re: Deciding on a protocol, need help

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Ya, that makes sense. I'm just not explaining fully. I guess that's
where the Rich Client thing gets confusing. With Ajax and what not. I
need something I can use for everything from streaming
audio/video/object, to RMI like requests. I'm creating a software that
can be used like a video conference software, but also can deliver
content like JavaFX scripts. I think I've looked at every API out there,
Restlet, Jboss Remoting, Spring Remoting, all the services frameworks
stuff like XFire, JMS, Jini, JXTA.

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
Stanczak Group wrote:
> I've been doing a lot of research on this, and you're saying if for
> example I created an application in Java, probably delivered with
> Webstart, you would use SOAP and not MINA? Is MINA more for creating
> servers? Are there any examples of Mina being used of client
> applications over a WAN? For example could Mina be used to create a
> video conferencing application client and server?

It's not so much that MINA is more for creating servers.  It's about not
reinventing the wheel.  If all you're doing is RMI, then using SOAP is
going to be MUCH easier than building your own protocol.  If you're
doing something that can't easily be done with SOAP, then perhaps using
MINA would serve you better.

Any MINA client can be used over a WAN (as long as the WAN supports IP,
of course).  And yes, MINA could be used to create a video conferencing

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
I was also looking at Restlet, now that you say HTTP. I looked at JBoss
Remoting as well.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
I would reference something like Adobe Breeze as an example of what I'd
like to create. Except using Java and Webstart.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Well, I've been reading more on this Restlet. I'm starting to like the
idea.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Pat,

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.
Stanczak Group wrote:
>  Where does Mina fit when doing a project. Is
> there things it's better for over others?

Sure, look at the mina.apache.org

# Unified API for various transport types:

     * TCP/IP & UDP/IP via Java NIO
     * Serial communication (RS232) via RXTX
     * In-VM pipe communication
     * You can implement your own!

If you restrict yourself to just using HTTP, your transport if locked.
Mina is vastly more flexible, and for lots of stuff, you need it.

For example, if you really want a UDP type service, don't even think
about pushing that over HTTP, as HTTP is total overkill. Same if you
want to use serial.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Re: Deciding on a protocol, need help

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Ya. I downloaded and tried it out some. Looks pretty good. But it does
bring up a good question. Where does Mina fit when doing a project. Is
there things it's better for over others? Is it something that's used to
make servers or something that's used for client server. Is it LAN or
WAN? Where  does it fit?

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
So you're saying not to use Mina? Us Tomcat and JSP? Or Http over Mina?
I don't want a browser based client. I want a rich Java client.

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.