Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/24 20:45:31 UTC

Re: SPAM-LOW: Re: Test Infrastructure Requirements

I have an old article I wrote about tomcat performance. It's listed in
tomcat's resource page.

On 8/24/05, Manish Mathuria <mm...@infostretch.com> wrote:
> For calculations sake, let us assume 0 think time and I can scale it up as I
> increase the think times.
>
> So at 0 think times I should be able to get 20-25 concurrent SOAP requests
> for a 2.0 Ghz CPU? How much memory would I need with the 2.0 Ghz CPU? Will I
> see CPU max out at that point or RAM? With think times of approx 30 seconds
> is it safe to assume I will be able to get 50 users from 1 mc?

this is assuming there's atleast 512-1gb of RAM. xml parser
performance to the best of my knowledge is linear regardless of the
platform. by that I mean it doesn't matter if it's C++, Java or .NET.
I've run tests on 2.4 and 2.6ghz Pentium 4 CPU's. Generally, parser
performance for 2-2.6ghz will max out the CPU around 25 concurrent
parser processes. I wouldn't want to run for extended period of time
at 100% cpu utilization, so a more realistic number would be 75% CPU
usage. that basically means 18 concurrent. Once you know how long it
takes to respond, you can calculate the max req/sec your server can
handle.

lets say you've tuned the WS and they complete in 500ms. that means
the max through req/sec is around 32. JMeter can easily generate 32
req/sec with one 2.5ghz workstation. I hope that helps

peter