Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk> on 2020/07/23 12:23:31 UTC

Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Hi

I am about to upgrade a lot of Tomcat 8.0 instances to 9.0 on Windows.
The way I am doing it is by:
  SET JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\ jdk-11
  SET CATALINA_BASE=C:\inst\example
  SET CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat-8.0
  C:\tomcat-8.0\bin\service remove example
  SET CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat-9.0
  C:\tomcat-9.0\bin\service install example

But in this process I loose some parameters like "Log on", "Initial memory pool" and "Java options" which has been set with
  tomcat8w.exe //ES//example
or
 tomcat8w.exe //US//example

Is there a way where I can get the say "Java options" parameters with a command line tool so I don't have to start the GUI for every instans?

Or is there a better way to upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0?

Any hint much appreciated.

Best regards
Hans Schou

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:29 AM Mark Thomas wrote:

>> Enhancement requests for this should go to Commons Daemon. Should
> >> be simple enough just to dump current config.
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-422
>
> Done.
>
> It outputs the command to (re-)create the current config to stderr (in a
> similar manner to version and usage). Users are free to pipe that to a
> file or whatever else they want to do with it.

Thanks Mark!

Bill

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

<snip/>

>> Enhancement requests for this should go to Commons Daemon. Should
>> be simple enough just to dump current config.
>
> Done.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-422

Done.

It outputs the command to (re-)create the current config to stderr (in a
similar manner to version and usage). Users are free to pipe that to a
file or whatever else they want to do with it.

Mark

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

The problem is that if you don't have your old command-line saved and
> handy, you have to figure out how to re-generate it. Thus, the
> feature-request for procrun to dump the current configuration to a
> script which can re-create itself.
>
> I'm just suggesting that if your installer can dump that kind of thing
> out it might also be handy.

I agree that this would be useful. Once it exists in procrun, perhaps the
installer could be extended to take advantage of it.

Bill

Re: [OT] Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

The problem is that if you don't have your old command-line saved and
> handy, you have to figure out how to re-generate it. Thus, the
> feature-request for procrun to dump the current configuration to a
> script which can re-create itself.

I just thought I would also mention that this problem (needing to reproduce
a service configuration) doesn't arise when using my alternative installer
to upgrade a Tomcat instance: An upgrade installs on top of, and replaces,
an older version in-place without modifying the service configuration
details.

Bill

Re: [OT] Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:01 AM wrote:

I like what you are showing here, but are you implying a shared
> CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE?

Sorry; I don't understand the question. The alternate installer doesn't set
or use the CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE environment variables; it uses
procrun (tomcat.exe) with a very long command line to install Tomcat as a
service.

Bill

RE: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Sorry for the top posting, outlook and all that.

I like what you are showing here, but are you implying a shared CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE? I find this to be the least desirable configuration, in my opinion.

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Asst Vice President

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | Platform Services | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bill,

On 8/4/20 18:59, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 4:01 PM Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
> I have a client who runs our product on Windows (we usually run it
> on
>> Linux) and there are 2-4 separate Tomcat-based services on each
>> node, so they have "Tomcat 8.5.x for FOO", "Tomcat 8.5.x for
>> BAR", etc. in their service descriptions. Can they use your
>> installer to upgrade just one of those with a new Tomcat
>> version?
>>

> The alternative installer can only upgrade Tomcat instances it
> installs. (It can't upgrade instances installed using Apache's
> installer or manual installations; it doesn't know about those.)
>
> The process in your case would be something like this:
>
> 1. Document the Tomcat service installation details for the
> instance you want to replace and back up its config files.
>
> 2. Remove it (reverse whatever process you used to install, whether
> Apache installer, manual, etc.).

Oh, I wasn't expecting to be able to upgrade the official Tomcat
installer's services. But this is good information for anyone to have.

> 3. Install using alternate installer; e.g.:
>
> apache-tomcat-a.b.c-setup.exe /instance="FOO"
>
> 4. Update the config files, copy application server files, etc.
>
> See the documentation -
> https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/ApacheTomcatSetup - for details.
> (Without /instance it installs a default instance - i.e., default
> directory of "\Program Files\Apache Tomcat", "Apache Tomcat" as
> the service name, etc.)
>
> To upgrade (in general):
>
> 1. Touch (update timestamps of) config files you don't want the
> installer to overwrite.
>
> 2. Run the above install commands with the new version of the
> installer. Don't forget the /instance parameter if you used it to
> install initially (otherwise, the installer will install or upgrade
> the default instance).
>
> Note that each instance installed using the alternate installer
> (default or otherwise) installs to a separate directory and appears
> as a separate entry in the Windows "installed application" list.
> (This is typically the expected behavior for application
> installations on Windows machines.)

Yes, this is exactly what I'd expect.

> I certainly don't claim that the alternative installer is suitable
> for all applications and configurations, but for fairly common use
> cases on Windows machines, the two-step upgrade process noted above
> (I think) is pretty simple.

Definitely. I remember having to upgrade these for my client once and
it was a PITA. We really only do it each time we upgrade Tomcat to a
new major version (when we went from 8.0 -> 8.5). It was a pain
because of all the copy/pasting which would definitely be solved
either with your installer or with a new "dump config to script"
feature on Tomcat's installer.

I don't know if you are interested in such things, but being table to
export a configuration from one machine to another might be useful for
your installer, too. Something like "deploy to server A,
manually-configure, tweak, test, prove" and then "copy deployment
configuration to servers B - Z".

- -chris

Re: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.

Re: SV: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Hans,

On 9/4/20 07:08, Hans Schou wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:18 PM Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> So how do you switch Java versions?
>
> In case anyone care to know...
>
> I have a directory called C:\Java Here we have <DIR>
> jdk1.8.0_25 <SYMLINKD>     jdk1.8 [jdk1.8.0_25] And
> JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.8
>
> And upgrade is then performed with: Unzip jdk1.8.0_211.zip Rmdir
> jdk1.8 Mklink /D jdk1.8 jdk1.8.0_211 And then all tomcat instances
> has to be restartet.
>
> A Tomcat minor upgrade is done in a similar way. We have a symlink
> like C:\Apache\tomcat-9.0 which point to
> C:\Apache\apache-tomcat-9.0.36 and we unzip a new version and
> change the symlink.

This obviously works, but requires that you have set things up this
way in advance. The discussion here was about upgrading your
Tomcat-based service if you had only used the standard installer in
the past without any "tricks" like you show, here.

For those interested, I'm presenting "Split your Tomcat Installation
for Easier Upgrades" at this year's ApacheCon @Home conference.
Registration/attendance is 100% free free for all. You can find the
Tomcat track schedule here:
https://www.apachecon.com/acah2020/tracks/tomcat.html

And there are a whole bunch of other tracks for those interested in
other Apache-related topics.

I could mention this kind of technique as well as the new tomcatXw.exe
feature of being able to dump the configuration to a
service-re-creation script as a part of this work. (Since it doesn't
really take 30 minutes to explain the difference between CATALINA_HOME
and CATALINA_BASE). :)

I was already expecting to talk about Windows Service installation,
anyway.

- -chris

SV: [OT Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bill,

On 8/4/20 17:06, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 2:18 PM Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
> So how do you switch Java versions?
>>

> What do you mean? 1. Point an existing Tomcat instance to a
> different Java runtime, or 2. Upgrade an existing instance of
> Java?
>
> For 1:
>
> Use the procrun GUI and change the path to the jvm.dll file.
> Naturally you would need to restart Tomcat instance.
>
> For 2:
>
> My alternative installer is for upgrading Tomcat, not the Java
> instance. To do that, you would need to:
>
> a. Stop the Tomcat instance b. Upgrade/install the Java you want c.
> (If path to jvm.dll changed) Use the procrun GUI to change the path
> to the jvm.dll file d. Start the Tomcat instance

Okay, so you edit the service directly; same as with Tomcat's provided
tools.

> [My alternative installer] automatically stops the service,
> updates the files, and restarts the service (preserving all
> configuration details).
Does this support multiple side-by-side Tomcat-based services?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 7:47 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

Done.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-422

I like this idea as an enhancement to procrun.

I would also point out, for anyone interested, that my alternate installer
supports upgrading without needing to document the settings: It

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

All,

<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> All,

> Seems like it would be kind of awesome to have a feature like
> //PS// which would dump-out the service as a .BAT file, like:
>
> C:> tomcat9w.exe //PS//my-service-name
>
> REM ****************************************************** REM *
> Exported Configuration for Service my-service-name * REM * Export
> date: 2020-07-27 11:57:00 EDT               * REM
> ****************************************************** REM REM This
> script will install the service named my-service-name REM including
> all configured settings at the time of export. REM Edit this script
> and run it to update the service description REM for
> my-service-name.
>
> SET CATALINA_HOME=\path\to\tomcat_home SET
> CATALINA_BASE=\path\to\tomcat_base SET
> TOMCAT_SERVICE_NAME=my-service-name
>
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat9w.exe "//IS//%TOMCAT_SERVICE_NAME%" ^
> --Jvm [jvm] ^ --JvmOptions [blah] ...
>
> I have absolutely no idea how to do that, since I know absolutely
> nothing about the tomcatXw.exe program. But I'll bet someone who
> DOES understand it would be able to write that up in a few hours.
>
> -chris

> Enhancement requests for this should go to Commons Daemon. Should
> be simple enough just to dump current config.

Done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-422

Thanks,
- -chris

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.
Hans,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 5:51 AM Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk> wrote:

> > Fra: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
>
> > Seems like it would be kind of awesome to have a feature like //PS//
> which would dump-out the service as a .BAT file, like:
>
> >  C:> tomcat9w.exe //PS//my-service-name
>
> Yes, that would be great.
> And with JAVA_HOME also.
>
> Right now I have solved my upgrade task with a script which can only
> upgrade from Tomcat 8.5 to 9.0
> As I can not see from command line which tomcat are being used, I had to
> look that up first.
> Then I also have to check if the instance is running Java 8 or Java 11.
> I run tomcat8w.exe to get and set Java options and memory usage.
>
> Here is the script:
>
> IF [%1] == [] (
>         ECHO Error
>         EXIT /B
> )
> SET INSTANCE=%1
> SET JAVA_HOME=D:\Java\jdk1.8
> rem SET JAVA_HOME=D:\Java\jdk11
> SET CATALINA_HOME=D:\Apache\tomcat-8.5
> SET CATALINA_BASE=D:\tomcat\%INSTANCE%
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat8w.exe //ES//%INSTANCE%
> PAUSE
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"
> %CATALINA_BASE%\conf\server.xml
> PAUSE
> NET STOP %INSTANCE%
> CALL %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service remove %INSTANCE%
> SET CATALINA_HOME=D:\Apache\tomcat-9.0
> CALL %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service install %INSTANCE%
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat9.exe //US//%INSTANCE% ^
>  --Startup auto ^
>  --DisplayName "Apache Tomcat 9.0 %INSTANCE%" ^
>  --Description "Tomcat 9.0 %CATALINA_BASE% %CATALINA_HOME%"
> PAUSE
> NET START %INSTANCE%
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat9w.exe //ES//%INSTANCE%

You should be able to set the Java Options with service.bat.  There is an
Environment variable called JvmArgs [1] which is appended to JvmOptions and
allows you to add different Java Options, e.g. set it like so before
calling `service.bat install`:

    set "JvmArgs=-Dsome.property=SomeValue;-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

For the heap size set the JvmMs and JvmMx environment variables.

Igal

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/master/bin/service.bat#L228

Posted by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:22 AM Hans Schou wrote:

Yes I can add and change information, but how can I get the information out
> so I can use that for an upgrade to a new major version?

From an elevated command line, run:

Posted by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk>.
> Fra: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> Note that everything you can configure using tomcatXw.exe //ES/svcname
> you can also install from the command-line.

Yes I can add and change information, but how can I get the information out so I can use that for an upgrade to a new major version?

To change I run
  tomcat8.exe //US//svcname --JvmOptions "-D...."
I miss a extract command like
  tomcat8.exe //XS//svcname
which will give me the --JvmOptions and others so I can use them from a command line and upgrade to Tomcat9.

Best regards

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 9:36 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

Note that everything you can configure using tomcatXw.exe //ES/svcname
> you can also install from the command-line.

Correct. See the InstallService PascalScript procedure in the installer
which performs the equivalent:

https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/ApacheTomcatSetup/blob/master/ApacheTomcat.iss

Bill

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bill, Hans,

On 7/24/20 09:42, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:26 AM Hans Schou wrote:
>
> "document" manually? Like copy&paste into a text file?
>>

> Yes, however you customarily do so.

Note that everything you can configure using tomcatXw.exe //ES/svcname
you can also install from the command-line. So if you need to create a
service from scratch, you just need to make sure you provide all those
values each time you create a new service.

If you find yourself needing to make changes to the system properties,
for example, then instead of editing them directly using //ES/svcname,
you could also put that into a script and re-run the script.

You get (a) documentation of what's necessary and also (b)
reproducibility of creating that service, instead of having to
remember that something specific was in there.

For example, if you need to set -Duser.locale=fr_FR for your service,
then do:

REM
REM Script to install Apache Tomcat service for Foo Tech Ltd.
REM

SET SERVICE_NAME=MyGreatWebapp
SET SERVICE_DESC=My Great Web App
SET HEAP_MIN=1024
SET HEAP_MAX=1024

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat9w.exe ^
  "//IS//%SERVICE_NAME%" ^
  --Description "%SERVICE_DESC%" ^
  --JvmMs "%HEAP_MIN%" ^
  --JvmMx "%HEAP_MAX%" ^
  --JvmOptions "-Xrs;-Duser.locale=fr_FR"

I typed that in without any checks to make sure it will work. But you
get the idea.

Hope that helps,
- -chris

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:26 AM Hans Schou wrote:

"document" manually? Like copy&paste into a text file?

Yes, however you customarily do so.

> > 2. If you used Apache's Windows installer, uninstall it (unfortunately
> this removes the service and service configuration info).
>
> I use the zip file version, roughly I do this:
>   CD D:\Apache
>   unzip apache-tomcat-9.0.37.zip
>   MKLINK /D tomcat-9.0 apache-tomcat-9.0.37
> And then I make all my instances have CATALINA_BASE=D:\Apache\tomcat-9.0
> so I can minor upgrade several instances at the same time just by changing
> the symlink (services must be stopped first).

Sounds like you have a fairly robust procedure already in place, and the
alternative installer may not provide too much benefit.

> 1. Update the timestamps of the config files you don't want the installer
> to overwrite.
>
> Is this necessary when using zip-package?

That depends on where you extract the files and if your unzip tool is set
to skip or overwrite newer files when extracting.

SV: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Hans Schou <Mi...@vd.dk>.
Fra: Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>

> https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/ApacheTomcatSetup/releases

I will look into that.

> Basically the steps would be:
> 1. Back up/document your 8.x configuration.

"document" manually? Like copy&paste into a text file?

> 2. If you used Apache's Windows installer, uninstall it (unfortunately this removes the service and service configuration info).

I use the zip file version, roughly I do this:
  CD D:\Apache
  unzip apache-tomcat-9.0.37.zip
  MKLINK /D tomcat-9.0 apache-tomcat-9.0.37
And then I make all my instances have CATALINA_BASE=D:\Apache\tomcat-9.0 so I can minor upgrade several instances at the same time just by changing the symlink (services must be stopped first).

> 1. Update the timestamps of the config files you don't want the installer to overwrite.

Is this necessary when using zip-package?

> Of course, I would strongly recommend testing all of the above in a test environment first.

No problem. I have all three: dev- test- production- environment

./hans

Re: Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 6:24 AM Hans Schou wrote:

I am about to upgrade a lot of Tomcat 8.0 instances to 9.0 on Windows.
> But in this process I loose some parameters like "Log on", "Initial memory
> pool" and "Java options" which has been set with
>   tomcat8w.exe //ES//example
> or
>  tomcat8w.exe //US//example
>
> Is there a way where I can get the say "Java options" parameters with a
> command line tool so I don't have to start the GUI for every instans?
>
> Or is there a better way to upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0?

Simplifying upgrades on the Windows platform is one of the main reasons I
created an alternative Windows installer. Latest version here:

https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/ApacheTomcatSetup/releases

Documentation is here:

https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/ApacheTomcatSetup

Basically the steps would be:

1. Back up/document your 8.x configuration.

2. If you used Apache's Windows installer, uninstall it (unfortunately this
removes the service and service configuration info).

3. Install the latest Tomcat version using the alternative installer, and
configure Tomcat as needed.

In the future, upgrades using the alternative installer are pretty simple:

1. Update the timestamps of the config files you don't want the installer
to overwrite.

2. Download and run the latest version of the alternative installer to
perform the upgrade. The installer automatically stops the service,
upgrades the files, and restarts the service. All service configuration
information is preserved.