Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by "Claude Warren, Jr via dev" <de...@cassandra.apache.org> on 2023/10/20 14:01:49 UTC

CASSANDRA-18775 (Cassandra supported OSs)

I am looking at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-18775 and
want to ensure that I do not remove too many libraries.

I think that preserving any sigar library where the file name contains the
word "linux" or "macosx" should be acceptable.  This will preserve:
libsigar-amd64-linux.so
libsigar-ia64-linux.so
libsigar-ppc-linux.so
libsigar-ppc64-aix-5.so
libsigar-ppc64-linux.so
libsigar-ppc64le-linux.so
libsigar-s390x-linux.so
libsigar-universal-macosx.dylib
libsigar-universal64-macosx.dylib
libsigar-x86-linux.so

and remove:

libsigar-amd64-freebsd-6.so
libsigar-amd64-solaris.so
libsigar-ia64-hpux-11.sl
libsigar-pa-hpux-11.sl
libsigar-ppc-aix-5.so
libsigar-sparc-solaris.so
libsigar-sparc64-solaris.so
libsigar-x86-freebsd-5.so
libsigar-x86-freebsd-6.so
libsigar-x86-solaris.so

resulting in a savings of 3,105,384 bytes out of 6,450,526 from the
/lib/sigar-bin directory, a 48% reduction.

Does anyone see any reason _not_ to do this?

Re: CASSANDRA-18775 (Cassandra supported OSs)

Posted by "Claude Warren, Jr via dev" <de...@cassandra.apache.org>.
I closed 18775 as it did not seem reasonable after discussions here.  I
have been working on 16565 and have a pull request [1] and an experimental
suite to show the differences. [2]

[1]  https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/2842
[2]  https://github.com/Aiven-Labs/compare_oshi_sigar

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
+1 to drop if we're not using.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@apple.com>.
+1 to drop the whole lib…

Posted by Jeremiah Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
As noted on CASSANDRA-16565 we don't actually need sigar for anything,
so I don't see a reason to keep any of it, especially if that is going
to force us to specify OSes.

Kind Regards,
Brandon