Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org> on 2021/05/28 10:20:44 UTC

[Community] try to add a community growth graph to the website

Hi community!

We're the maintainers of Apache APISIX <https://github.com/apache/apisix>.
To better present how our community grows, we develop a tool to show
contributors growing history on https://github.com/api7/contributor-graph.
Since we found it helpful, we think maybe if it could help some other
community.

WHAT IT IS

https://www.apiseven.com/en/contributor-graph?chart=contributorOverTime&repo=apache/dubbo

Basically, it just shows the contributors growth over time. All of the
procedures are running on GCP, and it would automatically update the graph
each day, so the link would always present the real-time data. There is
some other stuff to play around
<https://www.apiseven.com/en/contributor-graph> with if you would like to
give it a try~

HOW IT WORKS

We use Github API to get all commits, try to find the “Github way” to
filter commits so the result data would be similar to Github, and then get
the first commit time of each contributor.

As @chickenlj suggested, we could add a same graph to all dubbo related
repos, just like what we do to apache openwhisk
<https://openwhisk.apache.org/community.html>. One question is which repo
list could I use. On the community page on dubbo website, there lists 16
repos (plus dubbo main repo it would be 17). While on the apache list
<https://github.com/apache?q=dubbo>, there are 28 in total. Which one
should I choose?

Besides I noticed that some contributors might miss after migration from
svn to git (at around 2017). I could try to add contributors from svn log
if needed. What do you think about that? And is community page on dubbo
website is the good place to place this issue?

Don't hesitate to tell us if there is a better place to present this graph
other than this, or there are some other worries or other features you
would like to have~🍻

Re: [Community] try to add a community growth graph to the website

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the reply Kevin!

Since it is a graph but not a badge, it might be annoying to put it on
the top of README. Maybe it would be better to put it at the bottom like
under "Dubbo system" section.
For the repos, right now I added all repos whose latest commit happens
after 2020 and also consider the repo listed on the community page of dubbo
website. So right now the list looks like this (ascendant order by last
modified time on 2021/06/01 19:00 UTC)

    - apache/dubbo

    - apache/dubbo-go-pixiu

    - apache/dubbo-go