Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Chris Burdess <ch...@runtime-collective.com> on 2004/05/12 11:28:38 UTC

Managing stylesheets via Lenya

How difficult would it be to implement a system whereby you could
create, edit, and manage stylesheets for Lenya content just like any
other Lenya resource?

Re: Managing stylesheets via Lenya

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@owal.co.uk>.
Chris Burdess wrote:

>> Quite: part of my question is about how much code depends on the
>> current layout of CSS and XSLT files in separate, non-content
>> directories, and how much work it would be to move them into the site
>> content tree. If the answer is "not much", so much the better.

I think there is an important question to be asked first which is

"What skills are required before the administrator can set up Lenya?"

I think that the user needs pretty expert java, XML,XSL and Cocoon
skills. It seems to me that you are trying to reduce the skills needed
to create a new Lenya based site. Reducing the skill level required is a
*good* thing.

Alex

Re: Managing stylesheets via Lenya

Posted by Chris Burdess <ch...@runtime-collective.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>> Quite: part of my question is about how much code depends on the
>> current layout of CSS and XSLT files in separate, non-content
>> directories, and how much work it would be to move them into the site
>> content tree. If the answer is "not much", so much the better.
>
> i am not sure whether moving them all together is the way to go. is
> there a use case that forces you to have them all in one place?

No, not in one place. They could be anywhere, but they must be able to
be edited via Authoring, just like any other resource.

The next question is going to be: how do we do the same thing for
workflows, and perhaps even authorisation principals (Roles and
Identifiables)? You can see where I'm going with this. A unified
approach to resources solves a lot of content management problems.

Re: Managing stylesheets via Lenya

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Chris Burdess wrote:

> Quite: part of my question is about how much code depends on the current
> layout of CSS and XSLT files in separate, non-content directories, and
> how much work it would be to move them into the site content tree. If
> the answer is "not much", so much the better.

i am not sure whether moving them all together is the way to go. is
there a use case that forces you to have them all in one place?

> I'm glad you think so. I'll locate or convert an RNG schema for XSLT -
> should I post it here? or to lenya-dev?

create a bug, attach it and take the discussion to lenya-dev :)

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Managing stylesheets via Lenya

Posted by Chris Burdess <ch...@runtime-collective.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>> How difficult would it be to implement a system whereby you could
>> create, edit, and manage stylesheets for Lenya content just like any
>> other Lenya resource?
>
> you could use the one form editor to edit the files. one issue you
> would have to solve is that the css are not in the content directory
> so the normal path mapper would get confused (files to edit are loaded
> through the page envelope).

Quite: part of my question is about how much code depends on the
current layout of CSS and XSLT files in separate, non-content
directories, and how much work it would be to move them into the site
content tree. If the answer is "not much", so much the better.

> if you are talking about xslt, more care is needed since screwing them
> up will foobar your site. with some care it could be done as well.
> (you'd want a xslt rng).

Yes, I'm talking about both CSS and XSLT.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Chris Burdess wrote:

> How difficult would it be to implement a system whereby you could
> create, edit, and manage stylesheets for Lenya content just like any
> other Lenya resource?

you could use the one form editor to edit the files. one issue you would
have to solve is that the css are not in the content directory so the
normal path mapper would get confused (files to edit are loaded through
the page envelope).

if you are talking about xslt, more care is needed since screwing them
up will foobar your site. with some care it could be done as well.
(you'd want a xslt rng).

i'd say it is not very difficult :)

it strikes me as a very cool idea (especially the css part). with a
css-based layout that gives you a very powerful solution.

-gregor

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:08, Chris Burdess wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> > Big +1. IMHO it is not that difficult. For the first it would be enough
> > to separate the xslt files for authoring and live area. Later we could
> > add a developer view, so that each developer can preview the changes he
> > did. Like a private workspace on the server side. The form editor could
> > be used to edit files or so.
> >

> > More ideas about this?
>
> At least initially, I feel the Authoring space suffices for editing
> stylesheets. However, in the longer term, we should perhaps look at the
> roles of the actual users of the system. The profile of a content
> author is quite distinct from that of a stylesheet designer, at least
> as different as a content author and an admin. Separating these
> functionally distinct roles in the UI should be on the roadmap.

Agreed.

--

Rolf Kulemann

"There is inherently no silverbullet" - F.Brooks

Re: Managing stylesheets via Lenya

Posted by Chris Burdess <ch...@runtime-collective.com>.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.